Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Resize image

joseph_newcomerjoseph_newcomer Member Posts: 90 ✭✭✭
I have a photo of something I am trying to reproduce: 125-year-old decorations on our house.  They and their backing have rotted away.  My goal is to create new ones on a CNC router.

Now, the problem is that I got the dimensions from the photos with the ruler: 1 3/4" x 9 1/2".  I created the gray box shown in the sketch to those dimensions. 

Next, I inserted the photo.

Now, I want to resize the photo so the spindle fills the box.  From this, I will create the shapes I need.  But I cannot discover how to resize the photo.  Grabbing it on its corners or edges does nothing.  How do I resize the image to the size I need so I can copy the details?

EDIT: I discovered that I can resize the image when first inserting it.  The problem is I cannot get the parts I want aligned to the drawing; that can't happen until I can move it, and then resize it.

I resized the photo in Corel PhotoPaint and re-inserted it.  But now it looks like if I stretch the image so it matches the top and bottom, it will be too wide.  I am now very confused.  Being able to resize the image to a precise (and aspect-ratio-maintaining) size is critical.  Is this a missing feature?

Yes, and this time I did the research to see how to set the units for the drawing, so the units are now in inches.

There also does not seem to be a way to crop an image that has been inserted.  This would be another feature that is necessary.

Comments

• Options
    matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    @joseph_newcomer, make your document PUBLIC and provide the URL.  Typically you would just dimension either the width or height of the image's bounding box to scale.  The original aspect ratio (h/l) will be maintained.
  • Options
    daniel_melendrezdaniel_melendrez Member Posts: 9
    I am facing a similar problem.

After inserting the image, I am asked to draw a bounding box however, if I try to fine-tune the size by grabbing the edge of the box (construction line) I can only move it but not resize it. Are there any key combinations to resize it?

Cheers
  • Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,713 PRO
    edited June 2022
    @daniel_melendrez
    After the image is inserted, draw the bounding box. Now, draw a line representing the place you would like to dimension. Using the dimension tool, not the quick dimension, dimension the line to the measurement you would like. The picture will scale accordingly. This kind of scaling only works if there are no dimensions in the sketch.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 802 PRO
    I am facing a similar problem.

After inserting the image, I am asked to draw a bounding box however, if I try to fine-tune the size by grabbing the edge of the box (construction line) I can only move it but not resize it. Are there any key combinations to resize it?

Cheers
    You would need to lock down one of the entities that make up the pictures bounding box.  like use the fix relation on one of the vertices.  Then you can drag and resize.
  • Options
    daniel_melendrezdaniel_melendrez Member Posts: 9
    @daniel_melendrez
    After the image is inserted, draw the bounding box. Now, draw a line representing the place you would like to dimension. Using the dimension tool, not the quick dimension, dimension the line to the measurement you would like. The picture will scale accordingly. This kind of scaling only works if there are no dimensions in the sketch.
    Dear Michael

Yes!

Actually, I just figured it out

Thank you so much
  • Options
    Curt_WelchCurt_Welch Member, csevp Posts: 38
    I couldn't figure this out. But after some playing, I see @MichaelPascoe gave the correct answer above, I just didn't understand it.

The technique of drawing a line and dimensioning won't resize the image, it will just resize the line, unless it is the ONLY thing in the sketch with a dimension! So it only works when it's the first thing you dimension in the sketch!  If you know the dimension of one of the sides of the sketch, you can just dimension that, and that always works.  But if you don't know the dimension of either side, you have to make sure to use this trick before you dimension anything else in the sketch.
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,359 PRO
    This resize trick is true in any sketch, BTW, not just one with an image.
  • Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,713 PRO

@Curt_Welch, here's another way using the Image - custom feature:

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎