Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Exporting deformed shape from simulation

Connor_LeCLaireConnor_LeCLaire Member Posts: 18 PRO
Hello,

I cannot seem to find a way to do this. I am attempting to create what is effectively a snap-clip that will go over a tube and using simulation to take the nominal shape and deform it inwards with even pressure (so when it is expanded there is even contact around the clip). How can I export the deformed shape of the model from the simulation?

Comments

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    There's no way to do this yet. The one work around would be to use simulation to get the right shape, take a screenshot, and use that as a reference to modify or rebuild your model. 
  • Connor_LeCLaireConnor_LeCLaire Member Posts: 18 PRO
    @S1mon thanks for letting me know. Maybe OS will add this functionality in an update.
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    It does seem like the kind of thing they should be able to do for sure and it could be handy every so often.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    One issue - if/when they allow an export, it would likely be a mesh, not NURBs surfaces. That could still be useful as a reference for some workflows, but I would not hold your breath that we'll get a magical deformation tool.
  • eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,462 PRO
    That could be quite useful (even as a mesh!)
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    Yeah, mesh is what I was imagining, though I would be much more excited about actual deformation tools like Bend, Twist, Deform, and something like Rhino's Flow Along Surface and Cage Edit.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl