Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Project onto curved surface

thomas_hirsch137thomas_hirsch137 Member Posts: 4
I want to model a watering can. I'd like the outlet to be wider at the base, and join up directly to the surface of the can. Which tools could I use to achieve that.
I tried to use projected surface, but it didn't work, because I cannot sem to use it like sketches, it cannot be selected for extrusions and loft bases for example.

Comments

• robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    Please post a link to your Public document so we can see how you modeled it. - Scotty
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    I don't understand the description. Can you annotate a screenshot or something to draw what you're going for (even badly)?
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 258
    Perhaps you're trying to hollow out the spout? It's probably easiest to model it as a separate part, shell it, then union it with the rest of the model.
  • ScalefistScalefist Member Posts: 4 PRO
    If I am understanding correctly, creating a loft for the spout with the desired cross-sections should do the trick.
    I'd likely approach this by modeling the entirety as a solid and use shell to create the internal cavity.
  • thomas_hirsch137thomas_hirsch137 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the hints, I did solve it by simply changing the order, to create the shell after attaching the spout, so that it also becomes hollow, and then just boring a hole at the top, using the line between the center points of the circles that make up the spout's loft bases, which is not perfectly correct, but good enough.

Here is the model.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/526ee6854429c1d9a4c0ef8d/w/f5acfba19830a3db266e715c/e/b131e2421d4ec1ed176d9bd0