Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Creo+ (new SaaS Creo)

nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 659 PRO
edited May 2023 in General
2min introductory video
https://youtu.be/YxFgivyuD2E

It seems PTC's other CAD product, Creo, now has a cloud based option called Creo+. I used Creo from from the late 90's through 2021, and liked it a lot. I do like OS better. A few question/comments:
-I wonder how similar or different it is to Onshape (the cloud aspect).
-I see branching and versioning in this video.
-It seems somewhat compatible with local Creo (regular) design files. I wonder how they do syncing.
-Their demo video has it running on an Apple iMac! With the logo hidden, ha ha.
-I wonder if it costs more/same/less than the regular Creo version.
-Did PTC use OS technology to build this? Or was it developed separately?
-Will the two products now compete more directly for sales? I could see a company currently using Creo and considering switching to OS now deciding to go to Creo+ instead. 

Comments

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    Interesting. I'm curious to see how that shakes out.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn’t Creo + a local install and not fully running in the cloud? Something like Fusion.
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is an here is an article on Creo + 

https://www.engineering.com/story/creo-gets-saasy

Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 659 PRO
    edited May 2023
    Thanks for the inside info, @GregBrown. I definitely want PTC to succeed as a company, and hope all their products do great.
    edited May 2023
    @bryan_lagrange

So either the marketing video was fake (they showed it running on an iMac), or, the full browser based version is here.

For pricing, I would definitely expect it to be higher than OS. But I wonder if its priced higher than regular Creo (with the same options, of course).
  • robert_morrisrobert_morris OS Professional, Developers Posts: 166 PRO
    @nick_papageorge073
    I think the shot of it working on the Mac was faked. Even though it's on an iMac, if you look closely at the screen, the window controls are square buttons on the right side, like what's used by Microsoft Windows.
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    I don't know the current state of Creo on MacOS, but years ago I heard that PTC had demoed a port of Pro/E on MacOS to Apple. Apple's product design team had been running Unigraphics and Pro/E on Unix boxes, but wanted to have their official CAD tool running on their own OS and own hardware. Of course NX runs on MacOS now (even if the UI is non-native).
    @nick_papageorge073
    I think the shot of it working on the Mac was faked. Even though it's on an iMac, if you look closely at the screen, the window controls are square buttons on the right side, like what's used by Microsoft Windows.
    Yeah, agree. I also don't think the model's mouse movements match the screen. Funny, many times over the years, Microsoft would release advertisements with their Windows OS running on a Mac;) Years before bootcamp and similar. ha ha.
    S1mon said:
    I don't know the current state of Creo on MacOS, but years ago I heard that PTC had demoed a port of Pro/E on MacOS to Apple. Apple's product design team had been running Unigraphics and Pro/E on Unix boxes, but wanted to have their official CAD tool running on their own OS and own hardware. Of course NX runs on MacOS now (even if the UI is non-native).
    Yeah, I heard the same. ProE was originally Unix. I think the Unix version went away completely around 2005 or so.

NX I believe had an official Mac Port around the 2010 time frame, probably explicitly for Apple's use. According to the wiki on it, it only lasted 5 or so years, and its officially dead now. I don't know if that's true.

It would be cool if Apple switched to OS. But probably too big an undertaking for them. Who knows.
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited May 2023
    I haven't used Pro/E since 1998 and have no idea what it is today. I am impressed with the breadth of PTC and the services they now offer. 

Onshape is not only a cloud app but it's a very good cloud app. They've set the bar really high for the next person trying write a cad app in the cloud.

At the heart of any cloud app is the client, the browser. Onshapes browser is better than anything we had inside windows on a desktop and a major reason we like it.

Client browser advancements bettering the desktop:
    -drag n drop is more powerful and better implemented
    -cut n paste works great
    -selections are fast and easy to perform
    -and my favorite, its asynchronous

PTC talked about, but not promised, the creo 'thin' client. This is what we need to watch for and encourage. A cloud version of creo will be a browser client hopefully written by the guys who wrote Onshape (they know how). The world can have 2 CAD clients.

Since Onshapes client:
    -True script is now a standard (Onshape has been upgraded)
    -tRPG is taking over sockets
    -react has redefined the client's DOM
    -more new magic each day

There's many new advancements in the cloud and a new client should be created. Hopefully the guys who built OS will help build the creo client. Could you build a better creo in a browser? OS has already done it once, the answer is yes.

Keep a eye open for the new creo client, that's going to make history.

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited June 2023
    Unix is an operating system owned by ATT and written in C. C was created to write Unix. Unix was very expensive, linux is free and took over the world. Unix has been replaced with linux.

I've never thought of Pro/E as a unix app. It could run on almost anywhere except windows '95.

Pro/e was written in C/C++ and probably fortran which ran under POSIX. The kernal "granite" was written in fortran which has probably been re-written in C/C++. All this works because of POSIX.

Linux, OSX & Windows all support POSIX which allowed PRO/E to run everywhere. It was a selling point back in the day that PRO/E could run on anything.

PRO/E running in windows under POSIX was so fast, 2 to 3 times faster than SW '95 but people wanted drag & drop instead. Speed was never an issue between PRO/E & SW '95. I suspect PTC has switched to C# making creo impossible to leave the windows desktop.

I think Atlas is server based and will support the server side requirements for PTC for a long time. Servers talking to servers no matter where they're located (amazon, azure, GCP).

Will creo have it's own servers talking to Atlas? Probably.

Will creo ever have a client and servers? I hope so.

Will Satya Nadella hybrid cloud survive? Probably not.

• romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    Thanks @jim_heppelmann586 for your continued engagement here on the Onshape forum. It means a great deal to this community to have such solid support for our beloved Onshape.
    Romeo
    Jim, like Romeo says, we're glad you're here.

I am very impressed with how PTC has evolved over the past 25 years. Your company's breadth of services surpasses just the design phase, and it is mind-boggling to try to take it all in. I enjoyed LiveWorx.

I am a fan of the cloud and have been programming in it for some time. I was shocked to learn that these guy were going to bring us the first cloud-based CAD software, and I was even more surprised when I was allowed to be involved in the very beginning. The team did a great job.

I am envious of CREO's MBD capabilities. We have a fantastic 3D modeler, but we still have to document in 2D as if we were at a drafting board. I hope that MBD will be added to Onshape soon.

I still think that the cloud has a ways to go. Why aren't vendors supplying geometry in Onshape? They could publish it for the price of a license. Why do I have to build assemblies that work? Step has to go, it's a terrible solid model translator. Give me native assemblies containing all the metadata so that my BOMs are correct. Vendors should want to do this because they could see that 500 linear motors are currently in engineering designs around the world. What a great forecasting tool, why isn't it happening? Collaboration is more than two engineers moving holes around on a plate.

The future is going to be fun.