Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Duplication of "Answer" posts in threads

michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
I've noticed that posts that are flagged as "Answers" are duplicated in threads - is this intentional or just a byproduct of the forum software design?  It's mildly annoying, but not worth fixing if it means pulling resources from feature development.

If this was mentioned before I missed it, so apologies if I am also guilty of duplication.

Comments

• Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    Comments flagged as"Answers" are the answers which user has accepted.and they are comes under "best answers" in that discussion.Comments for which user not responded comes under the "answers' in that discussion.Also best answers comes under both category.so it appearing as duplicated. 
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    It used to be so that 'best answers' were moved from context to their own section. It was requested by us to leave copies in normal flow..
    //rami
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    I seem to remember asking that a LINK to the 'best' answers be provided in pole position, rather than a copy of them.

Perhaps the forum software is not that flexible... It is certainly not well-behaved, unlike Onshape.
    Which is admittedly a WHOLE lot better than the other way round

I'm pretty sure I've encountered cases (one recently) where "Answers" were duplicated. (Not just 'Best Answers')

But one of the downsides of "software as a service" is that stuff just mysteriously happens and stops happening without the user being aware of revisions and upgrades. It's a bit like living under a political regime which is both centralised and opaque, and it bothers me that (like those who live in such regimes) we are likely end up groomed into passivity and fatalism.

(just mumbling to myself here, not trying to preach)

• michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    OK, it's just a bit disorienting to see the same answer repeated twice, especially when it involves a long response with graphics that occupies several screen pages.  I can see the point in placing answer-tagged responses so that they immediately follow the OP's question, but what's the point in repeating them later, apparently to where they fit in chronological order?  

As I said, though, not a big deal, especially if it bothers no one else.
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @michael3424 :  Because they often make reference to, or build on, points made in previous posts, which may not have rated "Answer" status.