Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Show hidden parts

Roberto_VerduciRoberto_Verduci Member Posts: 29 PRO
Hi, I tried looking for an improvement request regarding the ability to show hidden parts by a "Show Hidden Parts" command. We usually work with large assemblies and the "Show all instances" command forces you to start from scratch.

It would also be useful if each user could hide or show parts independently of another user working on the same document without creating branches.

If there is a request for what is written I will join. Otherwise I would like to create it.

Thank you

Comments

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,877 PRO
  • Roberto_VerduciRoberto_Verduci Member Posts: 29 PRO
    Thank you S1mon. Unfortunately I have to change my working method. I have lots of assemblies imported from Solidworks and I hide every part as I arrange it. Sometimes I hide a part and then I need to show it moments later (in an asssembly with hundreds parts, so its difficult to find in in the tree of parts). I think I'm going to use a folder as workaround.
    I would focus on using isolate. You can then use the “hide transparent parts” option if you want to mimic what you see with hide/show.

If you want to isolate everything except for one part (the inverse of hiding one part), you can select all by dragging a box around everything, and then select the one part again to toggle its selection off. Then isolate. 

Not at all ideal, but maybe better than multiple branches.
  • eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,811 PRO
    @Roberto_Verduci
    To expand on what @S1monsaid, keep in mind the "transparent" (shift+T) is the inverse of isolate already so if you only want a couple of parts to hide you can use this.

Another useful thing is the Y and shift+Y command:
    Y hides the part under the cursor (and you can keep hitting it), while shift+Y shows hidden parts that are under the cursor.

If you know where the hidden part is you can put your mouse in the area and hit shift+Y until it shows up (you may end up unhiding others as well) but it might be a better option than "show all".
    @eric_pesty

You're absolutely right. I was forgetting that make transparent has the option for "hide transparent parts" which makes it just like hide, but temporary and local.
  • Roberto_VerduciRoberto_Verduci Member Posts: 29 PRO
    Thank you both! I'll give it a try