Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Part number algorithm

svenolov_nystromsvenolov_nystrom OS Professional Posts: 63 PRO
Why not use an algorithm for automatic part number assignment. When a new dockument , part or asm is created it will be assigned a part number based on this algorithm -  format  000 000 000 (or something else)
A document is numbered 000  
A part studio is named as 000 300
A part get its  number based on the Doc. and part studio name ex 100 300 001
ASM. and DRW  numbers based on document number and a different digit in the third group ex. 100 300 200
This follows the normal process when a mechanical structure or project is built
I use this algorithm in my project manually . I have full control without a separate database ( by including the part number to the name)
It works  can it bee automate?
Sven
Tagged:

Comments

• emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    First of all...Personally I don't like this type of numbering structures very much, although I have found them in many customers.

Second, you can use the new release management to do something like that. See you Professional account settings

and last but not least... 
    I only want two things from a referencing system:
    - References MUST be unique
    - References SHOULD be univocal (Honestly I not always want this)

If you use the reference system you propose:
    - What about the part numbers of the standard content?
    - What happens if you have more than 100 or 1000 parts in an assembly, or in a part studio
    - What happens if you create a new version and delete and / or add, part studios, assemblies, parts
    - What happend if you want to create a new subassembly...

Usually the answer is... create special rules for a lot of specific issues that you do not want that follow the default rule.
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    and one last question ... why create a reference for a Part studio?

which I think may be interesting to discuss in general, so I'll create a new post
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • svenolov_nystromsvenolov_nystrom OS Professional Posts: 63 PRO
    I think all things dockument, partstudios pdf  and so on shall have an unik part number. I my world it has gone haywire with parts and drawings .
    I have reverted to use the algoritm mentioned.. I have included the part number in the name and  all dockuments have a number (Tags).
    It might not be a sulotion for everybody but it is supricingly easy to handle.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UIFeh32dDM

Thanks for that interesting video!!

There a few things you can improve there, but that is a great example to show the relation between part numbers and manufacturing processes.

I will try to create the same example but with a few improvements and maybe and a different approach
    Un saludo,

• svenolov_nystromsvenolov_nystrom OS Professional Posts: 63 PRO
    It is not easy,  the video is boring due to the nature of the task. But I think this type of tutorial is important this is what happens in production.
    It was hard to make it I have great respect for Cody Armstrong and co for their tutorials.