Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to etch something onto a tube?

matchaPopmatchaPop Member Posts: 4 EDU
I am trying to create a tube with lines that run around it in a parallel fashion, but the only resource I can find on etching into round faces was with text on a rounded front. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• jake_delano19jake_delano19 Member, csevp Posts: 19 PRO
    if you just want to have parallel lines around a tube you could always create a sketch on the edge of the tube and pattern the etching that you want to make around the tube and the revolve add/remove that sketch from your cylinder

• jamescbonneyjamescbonney Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    The wrap feature could also allow you to represent your etching. I am guessing that is what the resource you found was referencing. I made an example with a pattern of rectangles and the number 1 wrapping around a tube.

Side bar:

Initially I tried to fully wrap the tube, but this led me to an error, even if I put in an expression of the diameter*pi for the length of the rectangles. Is it possible to wrap 360 degrees?