Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Replacing Grabcad with Onshape

kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
a thought has been place in my head by a certain person here, about replacing GrabCAD Workbench with Onshape when it goes live. I'm curious to know what others think about this. We use Workbench a fair bit, generally through partner spaces, so we upload files (CAD data, STEP, pdfs, dwgs, videos etc) and use them for RFQs or ongoing project collaboration.

i pushed GrabCAD hard to introduce the single click through links to Partner Space...so we set them up on our account, create the link, email the collaborator or supplier, they click through and boom. They are in, seeing what we have placed there. No log ins, no signing up, just access. If they want to fully collaborate ( upload files, etc) they need a full GrabCAD account but we never have a need for this.

it works. So I'm intersted to know if Onshape can replicate this simplicity and functionality. If it can, I see no sense in continuing to use GrabCAD as Onshape is a cad system. Thought anyone?

currently this process wont work due to the NDA but after that is lifted and the product is live, is a single click through from email link to the 'partner space' feasible? Critical elements for me are that the other end do not have to sign up for an OnShape account to view  or downoad content we place there except if we place extra controls on access so we can see who has looked at what and when.

obviously GrabCAD has markup tools etc but these are easy to add (I say easy on the basis that we developed a screen sharing annotation tool in house about 10 yrs ago in a matter of days using a sub contract software developer working on site).

Comments

• Options
    caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
    edited November 2014
    @KevinQuigley‌

This is what I understand so far:
    You can sign up to Onshape for free. Then -as a professional user- you can (privately) share your documents with any (free or pro) account.

Why would your clients not want to sign up, even if it were free?
    Privacy of documents is controlled by ownership, not by access rights.
    Can anyone from the Onshape team confirm?

Tbh, from a security standpoint, I don't get GrabCAD Partner Spaces. How secure can a simple URL be?

Dries
  • Options
    caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
    Btw, I'm not saying GrabCAD Partner Spaces is a bad idea. I'm simply interested in the arguments why it would be preferable over a free account.

Dries
  • Options
    kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    They are not secure, but realistically who is going to hack a 50 digit url to get some cad data? This approach is more common that you might imagine. 

You ask why people dont want to sign up? Most of my customers have fairly standard draconian IT policies that require approvals for sign ups. Also in my experience most people do not want to have to sign up for sonething so they can collaborate or view, and as a supplier I am not in the business of demanding that they do.

the fact is the guys at GrabCAD saw this immediately and acted on it. Of all our GrabCAD use 90% is with collaborators who are not GrabCAD members, and ( more importantly) never will be, as they are marketing, production or director level. It is easy to think ( as designers) that everyone cares about this stuff like we do, but they don't!

also, people forget log ins. I do. What you want is a simple click through from an email. What I have suggested to GrabCAD is they link the click through to my account and create a secure online location from the click through. They say that is coming.

bottom line Dries is I want things to be simple for my customers. I only use solutions that are.

so, if Onshape requires a log in for viewing data I'll stick to GrabCAD.