Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Boolean - Union or Intersect; Keep Tools??

christopher_owenschristopher_owens Member Posts: 235 ✭✭
I just noticed this. I was creating a Boolean of a "hub" and a circular pattern of a "fan blade". Once I did a Union, I no longer have the original Parts. There is no option for "Keep Tools". Same with Intersect. Lets say I had a fan with 4 blades and one with 8 blades. I could modify the Circular Pattern to 4 patterns, create a Boolean-Merge-Keep Tools. Then move that out of the way. Modify the Circular Pattern to 8 patterns and create Boolean-Union-Keep Tools to create a 8 Blade Part! Always open to other's techniques!

Answers

• caroline_readcaroline_read Member Posts: 31
    I think Keep Tools are a good idea.  
  • christopher_owenschristopher_owens Member Posts: 235 ✭✭
    edited July 2015

Hmmm... I tried creating a Boolean-Union. Then Copying that Part to see how modifying the Circular Pattern would affect it. The Copied Boolean is driven off the original Circular Pattern.  Seems I would have to move-copy the two original parts (Hub & Blade). Then make another Circular Pattern and Boolean that.
  • bennyrowlandbennyrowland Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    This would also be useful for making sets of e.g. screws: create a set of heads (socket, philips, slot etc.) and a set of shafts of different lengths, then union pairs to get whatever individual combination you need.