Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

mortis and tenon joint

don_howedon_howe Member Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
edited October 2015 in Using Onshape
In my part I need to create a mortis and tenon joint. I've created the tenon part easily enough and I would like to use the same sketch to create the mortis but I'm having trouble selecting the sketch in order to remove the material. I thought I could work around this by taking a section view but I can't select it the sketch I need while in the section view. 

The parts involved are Post and Keel segment end.

The only other option is to create a sketch on top of the keel segment and create the mortis joint that way. 

Any thoughts on how else to do this?

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/dc1712de51714aaf81b70417/w/155bffad7ba247e59f37be9a/e/76a9d0eddf1e447aa004416e

Comments

• Options
    navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @don_howe if I understood correctly did not know what mortis and tenon joint was  :D until today. Use boolean subtract and keep tools. Hope it hwlps

Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
  • Options
    joris_kofmanjoris_kofman Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    using the boolean method you also dont have to set all the parameters on the cut extrude command, it will update no matter how you change the design even if one of the tenon sides ends up outside the mortice part.
    it is quite powerful. you can also use one boolean operation to create all the mortices in one part on one go, this reduces the number of features that you need to keep track of, simply adding more tools to the subtraction.
  • Options
    don_howedon_howe Member Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    thanks @nav  that was extremely helpful.