Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to split IPT into multiple surfaces

I have imported an IPT file. Under the parts list, the entire thing shows up as body1. I can highlight different surfaces on the drawing, indicating that it is aware that the part is made of multiple surfaces. However, I don't know how to split this drawing so I can delete some of the unneeded surfaces. Whenever I try to delete, it deletes the entire thing because it is all one part.

My goal is to either delete the unneeded surfaces or to begin a new drawing with highlighted surfaces. Is there a way to do either of those?

Best Answer

Answers

• shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    I could understand your requirement partially. Please correct me if I didn't guess it right. I guess that you have imported IPT (Inventor part file) in the Onshape which came as surface. In the part studio feature tree it is showing whole body and in part tree it shows set of multiple surfaces belong to the body. But at this point of time in Onshape it is not possible to show the surfaces in drawing. Only solid bodies can be inserted.
    In other way I think that your requirement is to delete particular surface of a part body and convert it as hollow surface similar as "Delete face" in Inventor. For this as a workaround you can apply shell on the given surfaces provided that complexity of part geometry should allow it.
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    @shashank_aarya

When the OP says "
    I can highlight different surfaces on the drawing, indicating that it is aware that the part is made of multiple surfaces"
    that suggests to me that when he talks about a "drawing" he actually means a model.

@matthew_leach
    A good early habit is to think of creating a solid model in terms of "Modelling", rather than "Drawing"

It gets confusing for yourself (and others trying to advise you) if you don't make this distinction.

Until very recently, Drawings (a set of formal, symbolic 2D representations of the 3D model) were not possible in Onshape. 
    Drawing is a different activity, which occupies a different category on the forum, and it's one which not everyone will need.

• matthew_leachmatthew_leach Member Posts: 4
    I could understand your requirement partially. Please correct me if I didn't guess it right. I guess that you have imported IPT (Inventor part file) in the Onshape which came as surface. In the part studio feature tree it is showing whole body and in part tree it shows set of multiple surfaces belong to the body.
    In the Parts section, there is one (1) part labeled "body 1." I have no way of highlighting a specific surface using the left pane because there is only a single part available. I can highlight surfaces (cylinders, etc) in the main window using the mouse, but even when I select individual surfaces and press delete, it deletes the entire part and not the highlighted surfaces because it sees it as all one part.
    @shashank_aarya

When the OP says "I can highlight different surfaces on the drawing, indicating that it is aware that the part is made of multiple surfaces"
    that suggests to me that when he talks about a "drawing" he actually means a model.

@matthew_leach
    A good early habit is to think of creating a solid model in terms of "Modelling", rather than "Drawing"

It gets confusing for yourself (and others trying to advise you) if you don't make this distinction.

Until very recently, Drawings (a set of formal, symbolic 2D representations of the 3D model) were not possible in Onshape. 
    Drawing is a different activity, which occupies a different category on the forum, and it's one which not everyone will need.
    Noted. I will make that distinction in the future.
    @matthew_leach You could split the part by creating a plane where you want to split. You can then delete the part you do not want. Alternatively draw a sketch on the part of the surface you want to delete and extrude to the depth of the part. Other more expierienced Onshapers may know of better methods.
    @peter_hall: I did see that possibility but was unsure of how to accomplish it since I am new to the application. I am used to using an old version of Rhino 3D (from about 14 years ago), so the interface on this is taking some getting used to. I was able to duplicate my model and shift the copy down to the Z plane where it cut off what I wanted. I was then able to delete the original model and the copy, which left me with the split piece I was looking for.

Thanks!