Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Ubuntu 15.10, OnShape, and the 3DConnexion mouse

I'm running Ubuntu 15.10 - Gnome - using Chrome. After some crazy gyrations, I actually have my 3D Connexion mouse running the "xcube" and the "xvalue" apps (these were apps that came with the driver from 3dConnexion). Anyway - sure enough, when I pull up a part in OnShape I get no response from my 3D mouse with regard to the part I made.  Is there something magical or perhaps some hidden settings or profile I need to set up to get the OnShape app (in Chrome) to listen to my 3D Connexion mouse? Thanks in advance.

Best Answers

Answers

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    The Onshape work to support 3DConnexion (3Dx) devices is now complete. We turned it on for Windows users a few releases ago as there was already a compatible 3Dx driver. The work for MacOS is now complete (and turned on) - we are using as-yet unreleased beta drivers from 3Dx. I would wait for an announcement from 3Dx (and us) that the new Mac driver has been made publicly available. For Linux support, please contact 3Dx and make your wishes known (if they support it, chances are that it will already work in Onshape and if not, it probably wouldn't take us long to figure it out) 
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • daniel_baileydaniel_bailey Member Posts: 7
    Applications such as Blender and FreeCAD already support 3Dconnexion hardware on ubuntu (and other linux distros) using 'libspnav'. This works great on ubuntu and I'd really like to see this added to onshape.