Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

3D printing - always one perimeter is NOT flat

guanhao_zhang071guanhao_zhang071 Member Posts: 3
edited January 2016 in Community Support

Hi,
When I print cubes, they always have one side not flat at all. Especially the corner of that perimeter.
How does that happen? readjust the platform's level? the issue of nozzle?
And one more thing, how could I make the top sealed? It is like this all the time.

Thanks for help.
Just like this:
img_4415
img_4414
img_4417

Best Answer

Answers

• LumenLumen Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    I dont think you can fix that by adjusting anything in Onshape. Try your printer software setup manuals.

• øyvind_kaurstadøyvind_kaurstad Member Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    I'm quite sure that this has nothing to do with Onshape, it is more likely a problem with your printer or slicer settings.
    I've been printing lot of my Onshape designs, and the STL files exported from Onshape has been flawless every time.

If you still insist that this has something to do with Onshape, make your model public and post the link here.

• guanhao_zhang071guanhao_zhang071 Member Posts: 3
    I'm quite sure that this has nothing to do with Onshape, it is more likely a problem with your printer or slicer settings.
    I've been printing lot of my Onshape designs, and the STL files exported from Onshape has been flawless every time.

If you still insist that this has something to do with Onshape, make your model public and post the link here.

Hi øyvind_kaurstad,

I know it is a problem with my slicer settings. however I tried to adjust shells thickness, top layers, fill density, print speed and so on, don't work at all.
  • michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    Most of your problems seem unrelated to anything you can do in Onshape as @Lumen said, and can be better addressed by a user support forum for the printer and/or slicer that you are using.
  • teddy_pessagnoteddy_pessagno Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    @guanhao_zhang071

I am new to Onshape and even newer to the 3d printing world. I have been printing for 3 weeks now.

But...
    What type of printer do you have?
    How long have you had it?
    What Slicer program are you using?

I started out with this site ( http://reprap.org/wiki/Calibration ) and tried to stick to it step by step.
    I was getting prints like yours but not as bad and a couple of things were happening.
    First was extrusion rates like @jason_slingerland said. I tried many different ways until I did it just like that video. Then I left the extrusion rates alone and worked on the next part.
    For me it was the max speed for the Z-axis. I missed a complete page in the build instructions and when I figured that out i have been printing with pretty good results.

Thanks
    Teddy_P
  • guanhao_zhang071guanhao_zhang071 Member Posts: 3
    @guanhao_zhang071

I am new to Onshape and even newer to the 3d printing world. I have been printing for 3 weeks now.

But...
    What type of printer do you have?
    How long have you had it?
    What Slicer program are you using?

I started out with this site ( http://reprap.org/wiki/Calibration ) and tried to stick to it step by step.
    I was getting prints like yours but not as bad and a couple of things were happening.
    First was extrusion rates like @jason_slingerland said. I tried many different ways until I did it just like that video. Then I left the extrusion rates alone and worked on the next part.
    For me it was the max speed for the Z-axis. I missed a complete page in the build instructions and when I figured that out i have been printing with pretty good results.

Thanks
    Teddy_P
    teddy_pessagno,

It is not from any manufacturers, it is called FigFab PanguI3 built by David Lorhonen.
    Less than a year I have had it.
    I use Slic3r.
    I'm trying to follow what @jason_slingerland suggested.

Thanks for your share.
  • GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 366 PRO
    You're print temperature is too hot and the 'run-off'(in Simplify3D it's called 'Coasting Distance') should be set to stop 1mm short. I have had this problem. Set your cooling fan to high or at least 80% after the first 2-3 layers. You want the extrude temperature hot so it sticks to the bed but after that cool things down so you don't let the filament become 'sloppy' and to prevent warping.
  • GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 366 PRO
    When I say 'print temperature' I mean the filament head not the bed.