Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Bolt/Nut/Thread Generator

greg_woodgreg_wood Member Posts: 1
edited February 2016 in General

I was playing around with trying to make a bolt on my 3d printer and came up with template of sorts for making both Bolts and Nuts. 

This is effectively a screw generator for METRIC sizes. 
It might work for IMPERIAL but I have not tried. 
I'm not an engineer and most of this was done with just a few hours of research on the web. For those of you who maybe know a bit more than me fell free to correct any terminology I may have wrong.

To use; duplicate the parts studio, and edit the values for "Whole Word" variables only. The variables that are not whole word are used in calculations and/or may contain calculations. Editing them will most likely break things.

I developed this to create and print nuts and bolts on my 3D printer. As such the Tolerances have to be much greater than real machined threads. The bolts and nuts I have produced with this work with a machined thread checker I purchased from Home Depot. I have not  tried to create a machined nut or bolt as i don't have the equipment.

Below are the values that should be edited along with a brief description of what  the value represents.

Tolerance: The oversize/undersize of the threads.
WrenchSize: The size of the wrench the head will fit.
HeadDepth: The depth or height of the head.
ThreadLength: The distance the shaft protrudes out of the head.
Diameter: The diameter of the shaft.
Tagged:

Comments

• henry_feldmanhenry_feldman Member Posts: 126 EDU
    Nice.
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    This is very cool! :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • adrian_traceadrian_trace Member Posts: 5
    I like this. I tried to suggest that OS provide a library system for peramterize parts. Looks like we do it ourselves or wade through the online parts. I've take a copy ( best  compliment!) and tweaked it a bit to give more realistic chamfer.

See it at https://cad.onshape.com/documents/1ad23a33342bff8f643010b7/w/6760e27dffcb0b79bf00708b/e/cc7ad52df3807e51693f78a3

There is a "feature" in the bolt thread that i have proposed an update unless you beat me to it!

I haven't fully tested it so have fun!!

For metric bolts there are standard ratios so picking a  bolt size(diam) drives the head size and gives 2 thread pitch options... then you get to choose the length.

• Michel_StormsMichel_Storms Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    Genius, this helps me with modelling bolts AND understanding how Onshape’s parametric system works.

Thanks for sharing!