Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Learning OnShape: I created a steel-legged table. I can't get a rectangle to snap over all the parts

florian_fordflorian_ford Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
edited February 2016 in Community Support
Hi guys, I made a model of my steel legged coffee table in a process to make my learning OnShape more interesting. Many frustrations here:)

I would like someone to take it and show me the "good" way to build it efficiently. Maybe Fairy onShape:). Now getting back to earth ... the link to my model is: https://goo.gl/MLhEUI

The actual question for this post is how do I make a rectangle that would snap to the corners of the parts that make the legs? I want to create the board that tops the table. I tried a few methods. I even created a plane from one of the top faces and entered sketch mode but I can't get the geometry of the other object to activate snapping.

The other aspects of the design intent and design process that I had trouble with are:
 - None of this geometry is moving so I would have expected to be able to group some parts for mirroring purposes instead of mirroring a selection of parts. No groups in Part Studios and moving objects in assemblies they say.
 - How can I mirror against the midpoint plane of another part? Do I have to create a Plane at one end of this part and move the plane to the middle of it? It is not very intuitive to me how to easily mirror a part. I want to mirror a part and move it across an obect that it sits at the one end of it.
... Example is the light blue bracket that I needed to mirror and place its copy at the other end of the tube.

I think that is enough for now:)

Thanks all for answering this newbie question.  

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    edited February 2016
    That's an elegant solution you have there. I managed to do that by selecting the two extreme points of a diagonal and then press Use. Then I could snap a rectangle on them.

What software are you using to create the GIFs? I've seen many like these on the forum.

Regarding my other questions should I open new threads for them?

• Options
    Ok, I hope choosing an answer will not lock this thread for future discussions ... I there any way to have this document reused in another document? I don't see a way to import a Part Studio from another OnShape Document...
  • Options
    Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    @ florian_ford , Yes you can copy the part studio and paste it in required document.

• Options
    Yes that wasn't very intuitive:) ... I've eventually stumbled upon it on the web. But in the meantime I have realized that it's not only the Part Studio that I would like to have it reused, but an assembly too, where that part studio and maybe many other part studios are put together. How about having a whole OnShape Document being re-used in another one.

Say I have a motor designed in one doc. I like to use that motor in many other documents. It's an RC motor, I'll reuse it whenever I create an RC model. I maybe have different designs for RC toys, all using the same motor. I hope I make sense. I want myself (and the whole community) to reuse that whole motor document in their projects. They should be able to use it as is, so whenever I change it changes for them too or fork it to a new design, thus keeping the freedom to modify it without affecting the "Master".

I can only see "Import" and "Copy Workspace" functions in a new document and I believe both will just create new instances of a CAD file (for the import) or a whole Workspace thus loosing any connection to the original. If I modify later on the original parameters the instances will not update.