Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

[Beginner] How to Sweep in 3 dimensions ?

françois_forestfrançois_forest Member Posts: 5
edited March 2016 in Community Support
Hello, 

Just starting on Onshape and I'm having quite a lot of fun with this app. I'm trying to make a wind turbine blade (well a bail as it's a vertical wind turbine using darrieus and savonius ideas). 

You can see it here : https://cad.onshape.com/documents/1c8d1ba8f1872615985dd48a/w/6685c8eb5573101f4cc4f05b/e/e1872d9dcad7fff568bb0cac

My problem is about how can I sweep the path in 3 dimensions (x, y and z axes). Well for now I can sweep following a line with a rotation so I have 2 dimensions x and y. 

But I need it on z as well (aerodynamic purpose). Kind of rotation, like the Helix tool but it doesn't work here. I also tried the "Move Face" tool but it's not working. 

I hope that makes sense, I have no idea about how I can do it. But I'm trying to reproduce an other part (designed on another software) so I know it's possible.

Please let me know if you need any other detail. 

Thank you :)

Best Answer

Answers

• tarek_mustafatarek_mustafa Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Hi, 

Based on my understanding of your questions I did the following.

The shown steps are:

1. Profile on Right plane
    2. Diagonal Line on the top plane in order to create a "point normal" plane for the second sketch
    3. Second sketch added and moved a bit higher than the first one
    4. Loft applied between the two sketches.

I hope this is helpful to you.

• françois_forestfrançois_forest Member Posts: 5
    Thank you very much Tarek, I'll try that out ! :)
    Hello, 

Thank you again Tarek for the tricks here ! I'm almost finished. I'm just stuck on a last point... As you can see here : 

I have 2 paths and a loft to fill it up. However, I need my Path2 to be rotated with my Path1. And I already tested to add a contraint, rotate the new plan and several other things but no result so far :/ 

Like this : 

I've looked on several other forum threads and it seems Onshape doesn't have any rotation tool right ? 

Thank you very much for the help ! :)

Any idea ? Thank you :)
    Exactly what I'm looking for thanks !! I'll try that :)