Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How do I cut a hole through the curved surface of a cylinder (Newb)

brian_norrisbrian_norris Member Posts: 5
edited April 2016 in Community Support
Hi, I'm trying to cut a through hole through the curved face of a cylinder. So far I have drawn a circle and a radius. Extruded the circle. Created an offset plane tangential to the surface (is that the right way to go?) Using the Hole tool, select the vertex of the radius on the offset plane but the hole keeps going parallel to the cylinder, not through it. Any help much appreciated.

Best Answer

Answers

• chris_8chris_8 OS Professional Posts: 102 PRO
    Good question!   I've never used the hole feature... usually I draw a circle and extrude to remove material.  This question prompted me to learn about the hole feature.  Here's my solution:  First I created a new Plane using the Point Normal option. 

Then I sketched on that new plane, creating a single point.  After the point was created, I made it be coincident with the point that's already on the surface of this cylinder.  That allowed me to use the hole feature.  That hole feature appears to always create a hole perpendicular to the plane that holds its reference point.  Is this the result you were looking for?

• brian_norrisbrian_norris Member Posts: 5
    Hi Chris, You have answered my question in a way for which, many thanks. As you said at the start your normal way of doing things is to
     draw a circle and extrude to remove material.

I had forgotten that an extrude can subtract! 

However, it makes more sense to me to use a hole tool to make a hole but I'm not sure your method has worked given that your hole is shown in red and is protruding through the cylinder. I would really appreciate it if anyone can come up with a solution. I am sure there must be a simple way of doing this that is staring me in the face.

Chris, thanks once again and at least now I can finish the current job - I think!

• brian_norrisbrian_norris Member Posts: 5
    Thanks Chris, an elegant solution indeed - proof of the pudding attached!
    Many thanks