Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Extrustion Not Removing Wall Face in Circular Pattern

joshua_meadowcroftjoshua_meadowcroft Member Posts: 10
edited July 2016 in Community Support
Hi Ya'll.  Below is a link to a drawing I'm working on.  Can someone please help me understand why the inside wall of Extrusion 5 is not removed?  And as a result, none of the inside walls of Circular Pattern 2 are either.   The square tower extrusion has all equal sides of 4.5mm with the inside edge having a Tangent Constraint in the inside wall.  I thought the combination of those 2 Constraints would fully define the sketch but apparently it's not.  I'm at a loss because I recently made a separate drawing where the same idea is being drawn with the extrusions facing the outer wall with the same constraints and it worked perfectly.  So, I'm not sure why this is acting differently.  Thanks for the input.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/2b1af4daa0f69c81edd26e04
Or search, "Outer Storage Tray"
Note:  search for, "Center Storage Tray" to see how the extrusion Circular Pattern worked on the other drawing.  The outer wall was removed.

Thanks,
Joshua

Answers

• _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    The tangent constraint keeps the extrusion from removing the inner wall. Instead constrain the corners of the same line to the inner wall of the part.
  • joshua_meadowcroftjoshua_meadowcroft Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for the feedback Dave.  I just tried it and it won't let me.  When I attempt to do it a popup text says, " tangent constraint requires two curves, one of which must not be a line.".
    I didn't mean to use the tangent constraint, Use the coincident constraint.

edited May 2016
    Also coincident constrain the corners to the edge of the inner wall and not the line.
    Thanks Dave.  I was able to use the coincident constraint.  However, as a result the extrusion and circular pattern was lost.  I put it back so that extrusion and circular pattern are active.  Is there another way?
    edited May 2016
    I think I found a very easy solution.  I simply kept the outer and inner lengths 4.5mm and made the two side lengths 5.5mm.  That way the extrusion breaks the wall plane into the open cavity.  Appears to be doing the trick. 
    That would work as well.