Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Circular Pattern - Angles Between Parts Irregular

james_alfordjames_alford Member Posts: 17
I have drawn a single tooth on a gear wheel and then used the circular pattern tool to replicate it around the gear. I have set the parameters to repeat it 30 times around 30 degrees. For some reason, instead of 12 degrees between each tooth, I am getting 12.069 degrees for 29 teeth and 10 degrees for the final tooth. I have tried a number of times, including having construction lines to try and force the pattern to be as I want it, but with no success.

I have made the drawing public here: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/57342142e4b0682bde6506ef/w/7c1708cad8cf186dbc091a36/e/32f07689304ca0f99653da84

It is called "Clock - Workng Document - Copy" and the sketch is on the tab called "Part Studio 1".

Can anyone advise me how to make the gaps 12 degrees each?

hank you.

James.

Best Answer

• Options
    emmett_weeksemmett_weeks Onshape Employees Posts: 29
    Answer ✓
    The sketch circular pattern can work in two different ways. If the end angle of the pattern is not changed before it is created, it will create a pattern with even spacing around a full turn. If the angle is changed, then it will create an open pattern with an angle dimension constraining it. You have the latter of these.

You can update the 350 degrees angle dimension in your sketch to 348 degrees to get even spacing for your 30 instance pattern. If you'd like the spacing to automatically update, you need to create a new pattern. The easiest way to remove the existing one is to either roll back in history or set the existing pattern count to 2 before deleting the patterned geometry and pattern constraint.

Answers

• Options
    UPDATE
    I meant 30 times around 360 degrees, not around 30 dregrees.

James.
  • Options
    emmett_weeksemmett_weeks Onshape Employees Posts: 29
    Answer ✓
    The sketch circular pattern can work in two different ways. If the end angle of the pattern is not changed before it is created, it will create a pattern with even spacing around a full turn. If the angle is changed, then it will create an open pattern with an angle dimension constraining it. You have the latter of these.

You can update the 350 degrees angle dimension in your sketch to 348 degrees to get even spacing for your 30 instance pattern. If you'd like the spacing to automatically update, you need to create a new pattern. The easiest way to remove the existing one is to either roll back in history or set the existing pattern count to 2 before deleting the patterned geometry and pattern constraint.
  • Options
    Emmett.

Thank you for this. I cannot say that I really understand the logic, but it has worked perfectly.

Regards,

James.
  • Options
    daniel_melendrezdaniel_melendrez Member Posts: 9
    I recently designed a circular pattern to make a grill on an aluminium plate. Totally agree with James, this is extremely confusing.

Why doesn't the tool allow us to "constraint" the angle and then add multiples afterwards?

The way to use this tool is not so intuitive, I am afraid