Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Loft between an oval and another none even shape causing twist

kurt_conynghamkurt_conyngham Member Posts: 8
I am trying to loft between an oval and a shape with 2 flat sides and circular ends, 
seems simple but on some, not all, it twists the loft, the most right hand part of the oval doesn't loft to the most right hand part of the other shape, it lofts to maybe the upper left hand part and so the new part created by the loft isn't a nice gradual taper, it twists in the middle, see attached picture.
All shapes are perfectly horizontal and symmetrical, if possible the model is public, please see
thanks, 
Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    What is the name of the document? If possible please also add the link here.
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• Options
    What is the name of the document? If possible please also add the link here.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/7259f40b4c14c22d6fc19dd6/w/3ac6eb1afcabdcfb9f35fb06/e/5573038757232f5848c87808

That should be it, its a bit of a mess at the moment as im struggling with a few things but these lofts twisting are a pain

thanks!
  • Options
    2 slightly different solutions, the first one with the link, this works but slightly squidges the lofts at one side, im guessing because it lines up the points of the round shapes with one side of the oval shapes,
    the lower solution using 4 points appears to have made a perfect loft.
    I also learned why some of my 'remove' lofts don't work, I simply wasn't clicking on the subject that i wanted to remove the material from.

One thing thats happening now, it will let me make one of the lofts the the next one errors, if i close and open the workspace again, it works on the next one and so on.  Software issue?

Finally, is there anyway to unsplit the shape I have split so i can move the points round the corners like the video above?

thanks guys