Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

After Importing a image into onshape can you extrude or remove material?

jeff_harveyjeff_harvey Member Posts: 1 PRO
I have been trying to extrude a logo that i imported onto a part. Is this possible?

Answers

• lemon1324lemon1324 Member, Developers Posts: 223 EDU
    You can't directly extrude an image, no.  To extrude geometry from an image, you'll have to import the image, trace the geometry you want using sketch geometry, and then extrude using that geometry.
    Arul Suresh
    PhD, Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University
  • SquidLordSquidLord Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Alternately, if you can convert the logo into a DXF of straight line segments (with Adobe Illustrator or the like), you can import that directly as sketch geometry and manipulate that like any other sketch. Be careful that you don't get too many (very many at all) anchor points in the curves, however. That can generate geometry its hard or impossible to manipulate.
  • MrDiLizioMrDiLizio Member Posts: 7
    I've created a short video that goes through the process of importing an svg. and extruding it. Alternatively, you could attempt to convert a jpeg. to SVG. then follow the steps identified in the video.
    https://youtu.be/Qvf0oN_aNBs