Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

In a Part, is it possible to reset Top view to any other, ie, Right?

chris_oxfordchris_oxford Member Posts: 5
edited November 2016 in Community Support
Coming from Solidworks, this is pretty easy. Can't find a way to reset standard views. Am I missing something obvious? Thanks.

Answers

• Options
    bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    Are you referring to being able to view different sides of the model in the part studio? If that's the case the view cube in the top right allows you to select the different views: https://cad.onshape.com/help/#moving.htm?Highlight=view

As the same time we also have hotkeys to switch between the views: https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/keyboardshortcuts.htm

Let me know if you were referring to something else though.
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    I miss that also; best I know, OS does not have...yet. Be good to submit an improvement request.

A few esoteric view tools  - clicking the shaded edges of view cube, keyboard shortcuts shift 1 - 8, named views, and view settings allows changing mouse controls to match SW (and others).

www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    I may be wrong but I read the op's intent to be that he wanted to permanently re-orientate a part? 

So say we drew or imported something upside down we could click on the bottom face, right click and select "set as top face".  Although this feature doesn't exist the same result could be achieved with a transform I believe.

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    @owen_sparks - No we do not want 'permanently re-orientate the part.  

While transform can be used to reorient the part(s) to the 'world' coordinate  system, we (almost) never reposition an imported part.  For example automotive parts come in with the origin and orientation in 'car position'.  We have to keep that position for relationship to other parts, importing a new version, etc.  In Solidworks, we can easily change the standard view orientation to be 'normal' to the part.  Since we design tooling (fixtures, molds, etc.) we also add a local (tool) coordinate system for design, drawings, manufacturing, and inspection. 
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    Actually, both would be fine with me (both permanently re-orient or just reset a named view). I do need to do both in different scenarios. I will play with transform and see how that works for now. I'm simply importing an old model and trying to get used to fundamental settings that make downstream usage easier (ie, creating a drawing; is using standard views reasonable, or all custom, like I'm used to?).

In my world, we almost never have a global system we need to reference. Our parts are used in thousands of different situations, we just need full flexibility. Thanks for the help.
  • Options

Let me know if you were referring to something else though.
    Thanks, yes I was referring to something else (see above). We often need to reset the top view to be from a new direction (ie, old right now becomes top). We also, less frequently, need to reset a part relative to its global coordinate system (ie, an imported purchased part has wrong orientation, so lining up axes or origins or etc. can be futile). Still have not had chance to play with transform, but sounds like it might help with part of this.
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    @bruce_williams - Thanks for your reply.  That's not a method I'd considered.  I sometimes work with similar parts (just on a smaller scale) and your approach sounds very useful.  Thanks for the insight.

@chris_oxford - For the reset relative to global position I highly recommend looking at the "Transform by Mate Connector" method.  It will allow very straight forward positioning of one part relative to another. The mates can be inferred on holes, faces, edges, mid points etc, or can be created implicitly as and where required to allow for any offset / rotation that is required. Also I completely missed the fact that you can also mate to the origin when I started with OS.

Regards,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,015 PRO
    This is what they're talking about:

I'm glad to see others use this. I use it a lot, mainly when dealing with inherited projects and the creator didn't get the coordinates correct. This happens a lot.

I was wanting to submit an enhancement, but not sure how many others use/want this. Not even sure how to describe it.

I want this also, count me in.

• Options
    shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    There is one option in at a view cube known as "Named view" by which custom views can be defined. See below GIF animation.

However I also believe that it doesn't give provision to define any selected face as a top view as available in Solidworks. But we can only set the view as per view cube directions.