Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Is there a way to specify a material for a part to figure weight?

christopher_owenschristopher_owens Member Posts: 235 ✭✭
Hello,

I was wondering if there is a way to set the material or density to calculate weight of a part/assembly?

Best Answer

Answers

• christopher_owenschristopher_owens Member Posts: 235 ✭✭
  • christopher_owenschristopher_owens Member Posts: 235 ✭✭
    Also, since I would use a STL to feed into 3D Printing software, perhaps the material (ABS, PLA, PC) would be embedded in the STL and drive an API run 3D Printer to select the material, or even a printer loaded with that material be chosen.
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, since I would use a STL to feed into 3D Printing software, perhaps the material (ABS, PLA, PC) would be embedded in the STL and drive an API run 3D Printer to select the material, or even a printer loaded with that material be chosen.
    Yep, bring on the day when the core of a part can be foamy 2024 aluminium alloy, transitioning seamlessly to a skin of solid monocrystalline titanium aluminide .... or mild steel foam core progressively firming up towards a high density D2 tool steel skin. Yay !
  • spiritriderspiritrider Member, csevp Posts: 30 PRO
    It would b great to be able to create some custom material specific gravity settings. Or enter in a specific gravity so that a weight can be calculated.