Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Change variable values after mergeContext / importDerived?

leon_pootleon_poot Member, Developers Posts: 87 ✭✭✭
Now, I might be dreaming, but I'd really love this to be possible.

Is there a way to Change variable values after using mergeContext or importDerived to import geometry from another PS? This would allow several morphologically different instances of the same geometry.

I figured since variables are added to the context, these should come along. Would there at least be a way to get all variables in a context, so you don't have to look for them by name using getVariable?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Comments

• Options
    kevin_o_toole_1kevin_o_toole_1 Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 565
    The current thinking is that, eventually, mergeContext will (optionally) also merge the variables, and that derived part will expose that option (possibly as another insertable thing underneath a Part Studio).

Though, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "several morphologically different instances of the same geometry". Are you looking to externally change the values of variables before the Part Studio is rebuilt, to get different geometry? If so, you'll have to wait for configurations for that.

• Options
    leon_pootleon_poot Member, Developers Posts: 87 ✭✭✭
    Though, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "several morphologically different instances of the same geometry". Are you looking to externally change the values of variables before the Part Studio is rebuilt, to get different geometry? If so, you'll have to wait for configurations for that.

That's exactly what I want it to do. I want the derived (merged) geometry to be parametrically editable, without affecting the original Part Studio's geometry.

I sense a pattern here, my last three / four questions on this forum have all been answered with "be patient, configurations are coming your way soon". Which is exactly what I'll do, I'm really glad you guys are working on it. :) 
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless