Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

In FeatureScript, what determines whether separate 'parts' are created, vs a single one?

dave_cowdendave_cowden Member, Developers Posts: 470 ✭✭✭
I have created multiple sketches, ,and I'm noticing behavior I do not understand.

Inside of the FS script, I create more than one sketch, and then convert them to solids.

When i use opThicken, each sketch region becomes another 'part' in the Part Studio.
However, when i use opExtrude, only a single part is created in the part studio.

In both cases, I use a single id for the operation. I expected that the creation of separate parts would be driven by whether the operation was the same-- but it is not.

What controls whether separate 'parts' will be created in the part studio when the FS is complete?  In this case, I prefer to use opThicken because it is more tolerant of overlaping sketch regions. But I would rather have a single part created, vs one per sketch region.

I  think the solution is probably pretty easy-- I simply do not understand how FS operations translate to "Parts" in the part studio.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Best Answer

Answers