Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How do I show a hole extrusion?

AuroraRonAuroraRon Member Posts: 120 PRO
Trying to draw and show correctly a hole extrusion.  This would be used with self-threading screws?
It is for #10 screw self-threading screws.

How is this done and called out on a drawing?  I've tried a hole with a larger extruded circle around it but not sure if this is the correct way to do it. 

Any suggestions?

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    Ooh! Is that friction drilled (flowdrill) and then tapped? If so, then...

I think the way you've described it is fine, as I would think that the hole call-out on the print would specifically call it out as a friction drilled hole. This implies two things:

1. The actual CAD geometry is not used to manufacture the part (in the same way threads are rarely added to production CAD models).
    2. The process control on the manufacturing floor is actually what determines the final/nominal geometry.

In that case, your CAD feature is "just" a representation, and subsequently used to measure clearances, and other design-related tasks.

Does this makes sense or am I way off?

Also, this feature screams "FEATURESCRIPT" to me!!! Are you familiar with Onshape's custom feature scripting language? You could create your own "flowdrill" feature, and create all of the hole geometry in one fell swoop!

• Options
    AuroraRonAuroraRon Member Posts: 120 PRO
    I agree with you, thank you.  This is something a shop floor would do and all I need to do is show the location. I'll stop banging my head on the computer now ;-)  

It would be nice to show it on a drawing but I can get past it for now.  The ability to make tools and use them would be a great feature.  Featurescript maybe the answer but not something I know how to do.  Always learning.  Thanks for the suggestion! 

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    edited August 2017 Answer ✓
    Hello @AuroraRon ,

If you make the hole using the Hole feature, you can then make hole callouts in your drawing:
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/hole.htm
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/hole_callout.htm

If this doesn't work well for your flowdrilled -> tapped workflow, please submit an improvement request from the menu on the right ->
    Hope this helps!
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team