Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Using a for loop for multiple operations on multiple parts

Lee_HeskethLee_Hesketh Member, Developers Posts: 148 ✭✭
Hello, I have a script that makes a new sketch on a selected face, draw a rectangle, extrude and finally a Boolean subtraction. Currently it only works for one face at a time. How could I use a for loop to allow the operations to be done on all selected faces? This is for a mortise and tenon script I'm writing and when I tried to use a for loop an error was thrown concerning multiple operations with duplicate id names.
Any ideas?

Thanks
Lee Hesketh
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who know binary, those who don't and those who didn't expect base 3!

Best Answers

Answers

• Lee_HeskethLee_Hesketh Member, Developers Posts: 148 ✭✭
    @owen_sparks How would I do this? Would it just be a case of say for an opExtrude be opExtrude(context, id + "extrude" + i)?
    if I was using two extrudes, would the second one be opExtrude(context, id + "extrude" + i+1)?
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who know binary, those who don't and those who didn't expect base 3!
    @cody_armstrong I tired that but when I was using skRectangle, it threw an error. Could you have a look at the whole script to see if you can see what's happening?
  • cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
    @LeeH This is a different error than the duplicate Id error mentioned in the original post.  The error states "Call skRectangle(Sketch,Id(array), map) does not match skRectangle(..."  This error means it does not like something you have entered for the definition of your sketch rectangle. 

I copied your Doc and was able to get "Mortise and Tenon Test" feature to work, so I cannot recreate the error. I would debug your inputs for the rectangle and make sure they are correct.  My guess is one of your variables should be a string, but is instead an array.  Or something similar.
    @cody_armstrong Did you edit it in any way because I can't get it to work. Also, I have rewritten the script but now the error is EXTRUDE_NO_SELECT_REGION. Could you have a look at feature studio1 and see if you can see what's going on?
  • ivan_skachkoivan_skachko Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2017
    What if there are nested loops, such as two FOR loops one inside the other with loop counters i and j? How to increment ID in a unique way?

P.S. I found that using hash functions(see e.g. https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/531906/calculate-unique-integer-representing-a-pair-of-integers ), such as Cantor pairing function: id + 0.5*(i+j)*(i+j+1)+j  works for low values of i, j, but then it becomes non-monotonic and the error "Parent Id FWDxIioBKfXZcAh_3.6 used at two non-contiguous points in operation history (Cannot have FWDxIioBKfXZcAh_3.10.2 between FWDxIioBKfXZcAh_3.6.1 and FWDxIioBKfXZcAh_3.6.0)"  is thrown.
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ivan_skachko
    a pair of i, j is unique inside the loop so the id should be something like id + ("sketch" ~ i ~ j). "~" is a string concatenation operator
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    edited November 2017
    Didn't realize the original post was from 2016 and there is a new question at hand.

@ivan_skachko @konstantin_shiriazdanov

Note that if there is a large loop with konstantin's solution, you could run into a bad situation where the ids are not unique.  For example:

i = 1 j = 12
    "sketch112"
    i = 11 j = 2
    "sketch112"

This can be mitigated with something like:

var sketchId = id + ("sketch." ~ i ~ "." ~ j);
    "sketch.1.12"
    "sketch.12.1"

or even:

var sketchId = id + unstableIdComponent(i) + unstableComponentId(j) + "sketch"

Note that code like:

for (increasing i)
    {
        newSketch(context, id + "sketch" + unstableIdComponent(i), {...});
        opExtrude(context, id + "extrude" +  unstableIdComponent(i), {...});<br>    opDraft(context, id + "draft" + unstableIdComponent(i), {...});<br>}

will fail because of id hierarchy.

From the documentation (https://cad.onshape.com/FsDoc/library.html):

Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Note that if there is a large loop with konstantin's solution, you could run into a bad situation where the ids are not unique. 
    thanks for pointing this, totally missed such situation