Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Assembly: Precise part placement

tj_thornileytj_thorniley Member Posts: 65
edited December 2017 in Community Support
Below are some neodymium magnets, placed on a plastic part. They've been placed freehand (XYZ Transform, No Mates), but I'd like them to be precise.
Is there a way to do that?
Would be nice if I could use the existing lines, and place them an equal distance from the surrounding edges and/or fillets, etc.
FYI: In reality, they will simply be fixed with some kind of glue/adhesive. Thanks.

Best Answer

Answers

• barry_gibsonbarry_gibson Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    owen_sparks come on, got out of bed yet, you are very good on this forum o:) 
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    @barry_gibson Yep, I'm here.  Working for a change though, not forum-ing. :)

In a previous thread for @tj_thorniley I've already built him a document with an example of how to transform things precisely with mate connectors.

Assemblies are even easier to mate and the help files and tutorials are excellent.

@tj_thorniley As ever it's hard to help without a link to the document, and at least meet us half way and read the help then post with the problem you're facing. Your "is there a way to do that?" question indicates you've not put much effort into reading the help files, doing the tutorials or even just pressing the buttons to see what they do.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but come on fella.

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • tj_thornileytj_thorniley Member Posts: 65
    I've put in a considerable amount of time and effort. I just haven't quite worked out exactly how to do what I want; place a part dead center between 3 edges of another part in an assembly. If it's in a tutorial, I missed it. A link would suffice.
  • bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    If you are using XYZ Transform (not the tirad manipulator) then is sounds like you are still in a Part Studio. If you insert the items in an Assembly tab then you can use a fasten mate to specifically place them. Mates also give you the option to offset in X,Y,Z for any fine-tuned adjustments. Here is a good place to start: https://learn.onshape.com/learn/course/fundamentals-onshape-assemblies/creating-an-assembly/starting-an-assembly

As @owen_sparks said, if you copy and paste the link to your Document here we can take a look and assist further.
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln