Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

male threat

wbuscherwbuscher Member Posts: 2 EDU
Hello,
I want to design a male threat. for example on a screw. But i dont want it for eye candy but for defining it in the drawing. just like the female threat.
Can you give me a hint how to create the male threat? I can not find the way to design the male one.

Best Answer

Answers

• John_P_DesiletsJohn_P_Desilets Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 233
     wolfgang_buscher

Hello!

This is a video for creating a thread in Onshape. This is a great tech tip!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUMhT9LGQ7U

You can also use a custom feature. This is a link to the "Thread Creator" custom feature. 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6b640a407d78066bd5e41c7a/w/4693805578a72f40ebfb4ea3/e/f8aea9e5c33e02eab0854a4f

• mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regarding "male threat", I thought someone was going to file another harassment claim  ;)
    edited December 2017
    Also, I'm sure someone will chime in anytime now about how modeling threads is almost never necessary, especially if all you need is a drawing note that calls out the thread spec.
  • wbuscherwbuscher Member Posts: 2 EDU
    mahir said:
    Also, I'm sure someone will chime in anytime now about how modeling threads is almost never necessary, especially if all you need is a drawing note that calls out the thread spec.
    Yes, thats correct. i don´t want modeling threads.
    I like to have a simple tool that defines an external thread, without modelling it. Just as it is possible with drillings. But for screws / outside threads. So that the threat is drawn correctly in the drawing.

in the image:
    left side: outside thread,
    right side: inside threat. 

that is a standardized drawing rule. I wonder why this function does not exist in OnShape.