Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Reality Server 3D Rendering

Enjoying using RealityServer and its a blast using it however, so much time could be saved if there was some guide or manual, anything really.   Can anyone point me into the right direction?  There does not seem to be help or suggestion what so many of the functions even the terminology is.  

Perhaps they could do some videos or webinars to help answer questions, I'm sure I am not the only one that would make great use of it. 

Tagged:

Comments

• AuroraRonAuroraRon Member Posts: 120 PRO
    Well just as I was getting excited about this stuff again, its now not loading anything for the last 46 minutes.  Tried a few times, now it came back to life. 
    Perhaps it would be better to charge by resource rather than time?  The same job can take a minute one day or 46 minutes the next day.   

• Paul_ArdenPaul_Arden Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 163
    AuroraRon said:
    Enjoying using RealityServer and its a blast using it however, so much time could be saved if there was some guide or manual, anything really.   Can anyone point me into the right direction?  There does not seem to be help or suggestion what so many of the functions even the terminology is.  

Perhaps they could do some videos or webinars to help answer questions, I'm sure I am not the only one that would make great use of it. 

We actually are right in the middle of updating the tutorial video now. We have captured the usage and written the script and are just getting the voice over done, hopefully we'll have that up very soon.
    AuroraRon said:
    Well just as I was getting excited about this stuff again, its now not loading anything for the last 46 minutes.  Tried a few times, now it came back to life. 
    Perhaps it would be better to charge by resource rather than time?  The same job can take a minute one day or 46 minutes the next day.   
    When you say not loading anything, do you mean you can't start a server or it's not converting?

Right now we try multiple resource types in turn when starting up. Whenever it's started there is a dedicated GPU server sitting behind waiting for your use. I think the time differences you mention are not due to the backend resources, all of them are relatively close to each other in performance (certainly not a 46x difference).
    I understand the whole writing of a manual part, its not easy.  I've tried to complete one for years. Video helps.  

The server is connected but I look at a black screen for very long periods of time.  It was fine last night, I just went back to continue working on it and seriously 46 minutes of trying to get it to open again.  Tried others and they did the same.  Eventually tried telling it to rebuild it from Onshape and it worked. Maybe just the timing of it but when you do rebuild, lots of the work is lost. 
    There was three servers showing full, the others were green. 

What happens when we press pause?  The time stops, we can talk a break and come back?  

Thanks Paul, I love the changes you made and it is getting better but still frustrating as you can see.    Made a short video and posted it on social media the other day praising RealityServer and Onshape as you can see but behind the scenes, I still struggle with RealityServer.   

Very strange, so it got part the conversion stage and the waiting was after the editing interface was up?

Pause only pauses rendering, not the server (since everything is still loaded). We are thinking of removing it since a few people have confused it thinking it would pause the server.

If there are scenes you are having difficulty with that you could share that would help a lot. Next time you have the long wait if you can tell us the time that occurred (and time zone) we can go into the logs and checkout what was happening.

edited April 2018
    REMOVED - Sorry posted wrong information. 
    I'm a bit confused, we haven't changed anything significant since the start of the year when we rolled out the new user interface. What change are you referring to?
    Okay, this is proof that multitasking does not work. 
    Is there a way to turn back time and take back my post? 
    If you could see the look on my face after realizing I opened up a competitors app by mistake!
    I'm so happy but so embarrassed at the same time.   
    There are no words...... 
    Oh well, that's a relief!
    I removed my post, sorry Paul.  Please keep up the awesome work. Love what you are doing.