Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

A Function to Aid the Analysis of Free Body Diagrams and Kinematics

daryntaylordaryntaylor OS Professional Posts: 31 ✭✭
Personally, I would love to have the ability to complete free body analysis within Onshape, something along the lines of the Autodesk's apps "Force Effect" and "Force Effect Motion" . It would be great if this functionality was available within a sketch environment, what are the thoughts on this?

Comments

• Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given that it's so easy to recreate a sketch to go to (or from) the app from any MCAD package, it seems to me it's not going to make our design world a great deal better if OnS were to focus their resources on playing the game of "me too" for this particular task. It's a useful capability, no question, and one I would use, but I'm not sure it cries out to be integrated into OnS. At some future date, sure...

Personally, right now, I would rather they get a bit further on with putting together their (new sort of) cake, before they put too much icing on it. 
  • Options
    daryntaylordaryntaylor OS Professional Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    I also agree that OnS shouldn't be concentrating on incorporating this functionality now, however, I've just spent a fair amount of time trying to complete both a static and dynamic analysis of a mechanism designed in OnS, the process of recreating the sketch in a separate application, together will all the necessary constraints and joints proved neither to be easy or straightforward, so I ask the question to probe whether or not having this functionality in OnS (albeit at some future point) is something the developers are considering. I also believe that having the ability to analyse a design early on in the process i.e. when sketching, is something that's been missing from CAD systems generally.