Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Trouble with small arm pin?

Can someone please help me figure out why I can't select the same Area to mirror on the small grip as did on the large
Why isn't that small the same as the large?

Thanks 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/e4c0e2d414ee836c98a71240/w/753c3b58f1ac84d191e85444/e/e44d38b59a044a4dbde034e0

Best Answer

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Answer ✓
    Hi @cameron_shaw_doran

When you make Extrude 5, there should not be holes in the grips.  Make sure to select the circle of the sketch profile in additions to the selections you have already made such that those grips are solid blocks, rather than blocks with holes in them.

Next, make sure that the Merge scope of Extrude 6 and Extrude 7 are correct, such that the pin you are extruding attaches to the grips. (See slides 14 and 15).  In Extrude 6, you are using "New" rather than "Add", and in Extrude 7, you are using "Add", but your merge scope is "Small arm" instead of "Small grip".

Once you take care of these upstream issues, your mirror should behave as you want.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/cfd6a1987c0d8e635db76fa6/w/97b0f14d4f14dfc85777f3f0/e/91444b07dbda26ec43861b61
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team

Answers

• Options
    emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know what area do you want to select.
    But I think that in the Extrude 7 you add the extrusion to the small arm instead of the small grip.
    Edit the Extrude 7 feature and change the Merge scope
    The edit the Mirror 1 feature and add the Part9
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Options
    larry_haweslarry_hawes Member Posts: 478 PRO
    edited May 2018
    This question was also addresses in this thread...and pretty sure I found the same problem. 

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/9205/new-user-tearing-his-hair-out#latest
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Answer ✓
    Hi @cameron_shaw_doran

When you make Extrude 5, there should not be holes in the grips.  Make sure to select the circle of the sketch profile in additions to the selections you have already made such that those grips are solid blocks, rather than blocks with holes in them.

Next, make sure that the Merge scope of Extrude 6 and Extrude 7 are correct, such that the pin you are extruding attaches to the grips. (See slides 14 and 15).  In Extrude 6, you are using "New" rather than "Add", and in Extrude 7, you are using "Add", but your merge scope is "Small arm" instead of "Small grip".

Once you take care of these upstream issues, your mirror should behave as you want.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/cfd6a1987c0d8e635db76fa6/w/97b0f14d4f14dfc85777f3f0/e/91444b07dbda26ec43861b61
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    cameron_shaw_dorancameron_shaw_doran Member Posts: 14
    Thank you so much Jake!
    I really spent a lot of time trying to go through and make sure every little detail was correct (restarted the exercise several times)
    I will work on my attention to detail

I think it was the first extrude five that mess me up
    the other mistakes might have been after me trying to troubleshoot uhhh!

Again really appreciate the help, it means a lot to me!

I believe you said you were programer?  are you writing the programs for on shape? 
    I have a solid Works license but never could get very far with the tutorials... this is a much better set up!