Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Move shared documents into a folder

Kristoffer_WiklundKristoffer_Wiklund Member Posts: 1
edited June 2018 in Community Support
How do I moved shared documents into a folder? My brother has shared some of his drawings to me. And I would like to move his documents into a folder. But I am not able to do it. If I right click my own documents I can move them to a folder using "Move to..".  But when right clicking  a shared document the "Move to" option is missing. Am I missing something?

Answers

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @Kristoffer_Wiklund - hello.
    In order to move a Document into a folder (that you own), you also have to own the Document.
    Your brother could transfer ownership of the Document to you (and you then share back to him).
    You could also share the entire folder with your brother :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • michael_mcclainmichael_mcclain Member Posts: 198 PRO
    @philip_thomas I understand why these shared documents stay outside of your own folder system, but I would like to see some solution to help clear the clutter of many shared documents filling up the main screen without a method of organization or filing. For example, could there be a toggle box to hide these types of documents or folders or some other method to clean this up?
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @michael_mcclain - fair point.
    It's not quite as easy as just letting you put them in folders. Because we have the concept of sharing a folder, we need to make sure that we remain consistent with permissions attached to the documents - more specifically, resolve the issue of you not having share permissions on a document and then putting it in a folder and trying to share the folder. 

To help you however, you have access to a number of tools -

1) The left side of the screen lets you filter by a number of criterial including;

(a) All Documents (My Onshape)
    (b) Shared with me 
    (c) Documents that I have access to as a result of being a member of a team

(d) Documents that you have labeled as being 'something'. Here is have two labels, plastic parts and Secret Project and you can filter by these labels. This is probably the closest to the concept of folder that you are looking for.

2) The 'Advanced Search' capability lets you perform some very sophisticated searches. Moreover, when you run the search, it is formed as a REST API call (formed as a URL) that can be saved to be re-run at any time (eg - i have a saved search that shows me all drawings that are in a 'pending' state) - VERY USEFUL!

As you can see, there are many tools within Onshape to manage Documents.
    If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • michael_mcclainmichael_mcclain Member Posts: 198 PRO
    Thank you for the detailed response! I know about most all of these methods, I was just curious of a way to visually clear the clutter from the main page, but it seems I need to use some more labelling and use the search function to really leverage all of the functionality available for Onshape. You guys have really created a deep and intuitive program and it can be difficult to remember all the ways to do one thing. I often forget the search bar right in front of me!
  • rod_muirhead943rod_muirhead943 Member Posts: 94 EDU
    I shared several files with each TEAM.  I Transferred ownership to NO (Team/Student).  Some students were able to move them into their respective project folders.  NONE of the students who were able to move the documents had access to open the files.  They were all light gray, hazy, phantomed!

On a parallel subject that I have shared with other OS PTC employees is that if the (Globe/World) Icon is not in the line up of the graduation cap, air balloon,  & MAIN  _  portion of the file ALL of the students CAN NOT work on the file document.  I am spending an enormous of time 365/24/7 making documents "Public" so the students can work. 

I am an intelligent human being.  Again, What is the setup protocol to UNTIE me from 365/24/7 making documents public so 144 students can work and continue to work around the clock in the cloud?!

A phone call would be much appreciated so I can move on to a life.  I will gladly give over screen rights so someone can show mw on my screen how to correct this issue.

Mr. Muirhead

713-740-0310  x 01169  between 10:15 AM & 11:55 AM CST.  Houston TX
    281-435-1785 c