Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Trouble Extruding Angled Face

Hi all! I'm a bit new to OnShape, but not new to CAD. I'm a bit hung up on a particular part of a model.

First, here's the mode: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/43d856d66fd0c29bbe2b8830/w/160a670308b9ec270c462e4a/e/73bb0f71302ddfee1b1bd58f

The area I'm hung up on is this:

I created this notch in the side of a panel and I drafted it. Then, I did a sketch on the vertical surface so I could divide it up. What I'm trying to do is extrude (and subtract) the area you see there. Whenever I do this I get "Boolean resulted in no geometry change..."

Anyone know what's going on here? Is this a bit of a bug or do I now know what I'm doing?
Tagged:

Answers

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi.

I might be missing the point here but it looks like you have the "add" option selected in the Boolean rather than the "remove".  Add is extruding material into a place where it already exists hence the warning that the feature results in no change to the existing geometry.

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • eric_schimelpfenigeric_schimelpfenig Member Posts: 75 EDU
    Ahh, I must have left that set for the screenshot, when I hit "remove" I get the same error. 

I've even tried making a new body, and then doing a subtract and I still get the same error. I'm thinking it's got to do with the point it makes and that it shares the same edge as the rest of the body?
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this operation creates a solid body of zero thickness which is not allowed and can't be made in the real life, you need somehow change the geometry around to avoid this
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Yup, what he says ^^

O.S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • eric_schimelpfenigeric_schimelpfenig Member Posts: 75 EDU
    I guess that makes sense. I ended up doing this: