Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Ability to select sketch coordinate system when creating

konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2017 in FeatureScript
I noticed that no matter how coordinate system of the plane was defined when sketch is created on the plane it always created by newSketch( ) function. I would like to have more control under the orientation of coordinate system of the sketch (be able to create user defined sketch by newSketchOnPlane()). I think this functionality can be extended by allowing user to create sketch by selecting mate connector instead of planar face. Thus one may take control under coordinate system of the sketch.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    now i tried to modify original sketch.fs to make sketch tool create sketches based on coordinate system defined by mate connector, and some strange error occuring
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/8331d15630b35a24c141111b/w/0cbd83b60224be56f674efc3/e/f4cc466621b6b86b2fb058d5

don't know why this post was mooved from improvement requestst, because it is about extending functionality of built in sketch tool

• Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    +1
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,175
    Sketches are very special, so making a custom feature by modifying sketch.fs won't work.
    We adjust the coordinate system deliberately to minimize "parametric surprise" because for a random planar face, the internal coordinate system is not predictable.  I suppose we could make an exception for mate connectors, but what is your use case?  Fancy feature patterns?
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • Options
    @ilya_baran my case was to reduce the number of user defined constraints inside the sketch by selecting it coordinate system so "horizontal"/"vertical" constraints would follow user defined directions rather then some projected vectors - the more explicit control the better.
  • Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    +1
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100