Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

MOVE ANYTHING

scott_caskeyscott_caskey Member Posts: 53 PRO
Why oh why is there no move command??  How do you move an entire sketch a given distance on an axis??  Transform doesn't work, it won't allow me to select the sketch, I am sure there is some option buried somewhere I didn't notice.  Tedium! 

Answers

• konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    transform tool doesn't support sketch objects, a have an IR about that https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/6079/support-for-sketch-objects-in-transform-tool#latest
    but you can still copy-paste sketch, or redefine sketch plane (though you cant define coordinate system of target plane)

• lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    @scott_caskey

If you are trying to move in sketch plane , box-select all sketch entities while editing the sketch and drag.
  • Brooke_BohlkenBrooke_Bohlken Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 3
    @scott_caskey

To add to Lana's answer, if you are editing a sketch you can box select sketch entities, right click and choose "Transform sketch entities" to specify a distance and direction you want to move
  • scott_caskeyscott_caskey Member Posts: 53 PRO
    Is it just me or shouldn't that be called MOVE....  ??  Sometimes I wonder how long these designers were in a room all by themselves when they were coming up with this stuff. 

When I select all sketch object and try to drag, it starts expanding lines and such, this isn't working.    

Also why can't I select a revolve object (or sketch) and tell it to transform by XYZ, then enter a value in either direction and it work???  It won't allow me to select a revolve object.   

Every time I do something and make a mistake this software starts to punish me at every turn.   If I create something and just need to move it over, it is like puling teeth out of a pissed off bear. 
  • emmett_weeksemmett_weeks Onshape Employees Posts: 29
    The transform tool in the sketch is also available from the drop down with the pattern tools. There are a couple reasons to use it rather than drag if you want to move sketch entities rigidly. One is that it will delete all constraints between what is being moved and everything else. The other is that it will restructure horizontal and vertical constraints as well as directed distance dimensions into a form that can be rotated freely if the transform is rotating and the rotation is not a multiple of 90 degrees.
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @scott_caskey - I am sorry that you are struggling with Onshape.

The chances are that anytime you are struggling with something, there is an easier way :)
    If 'Transform Sketch Entities' is behaving as you described, it is likely that you are simply trying to drag rather than using the Transform functionality (transform overrides constraints and the behaviour you are describing indicates the influence of constraints).

With regards to your other question, i am at a total loss as to what you are trying to do.
    I do not know what a revolve object is. If you are trying to move a part - the transform tool does this admirably with many options including XYZ.
    That said, there is almost no reason to move any part in a part studio - motion and relative positions are (by design) captured in Assemblies.

We want to help you - please let us know if you have any questions

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Wouter_2Wouter_2 Member Posts: 2
    Please go an have a look at how Solid Edge or Rhino do this, Transform as it stands is hardly usable. What would be great if one could transform a part by selecting the sketch elements you want to transform, then picking a point from which you want to move it from (snapping for instance to the midpoint of a line) and then snapping to other sketch elements or geometry. And how does one rotate from a specific axis point? or scale a sketch?

Literally, the entire CAD space does it better than this implementation, just go have a look at how Rhino do it, and they've been doing it like this since the 90s so really there's no excuse for this nightmare of an implementation. I'm astounded at the lack of thought that went into developing this tool. It reminds me of the nightmare days when I had to use Pro-Engineer... everytime you googled anything on how to use that junk, it was filled with users raging at how bad their UI was. 
  • mauro_cenedesemauro_cenedese Member Posts: 2
    I created a simple rectangle in the plane top and then I extruded it, it took me 5 seconds, in the last 2 hours I tried to move it up the z axis using transform ...... impossible. I can't because I use an ipad?
  • mauro_cenedesemauro_cenedese Member Posts: 2
    YES ! finally I did it There are 2 pop up menu, the second changes after the extrude eand shows more icons than before.