Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Align, Center and Touch in Assembly

andres_bremerandres_bremer Member Posts: 3
edited September 2018 in General
Is there a way to use basic assembly constraints found in other CAD softwares like:
-aligning two faces
-centering two faces in a cylindrical face or two other faces
-touch between two faces

For example, I have a squared profile with round corners and want to align it to another profile or rectangular part. I also want to center a hole in the rectangular part with one of the slots in the profile.

I added some mate connector to the middle of the profile and at the corner but apparently I would have to do this in every single corner and every direction of the profile to be able to use them to align and touch.

Edit: Is there a way to fix a distance between two faces?

Answers

• michael_mcclainmichael_mcclain Member Posts: 198 PRO
    Use planar and parallel mates. I use Planar similar to how I used to do it in other CAD systems. I use it for aligning centers or two faces.
  • andres_bremerandres_bremer Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2018
    Use planar and parallel mates. I use Planar similar to how I used to do it in other CAD systems. I use it for aligning centers or two faces.
    But the slot is perpendicular to the hole i want to center. I tried with the mate connector I placed on the center of the slot, but it wont limit it's movement along the plane, in other words it doesn't center the axis of the hole with the axis of the mate conector.

• michael_mcclainmichael_mcclain Member Posts: 198 PRO
    After the mate is made go to the mate list and select the drop down arrow to edit the mate connector of the slot directly. You can choose realign to get the XY plane to be vertical.