Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Combining student projects into One

OK The idea of having the Name Tags Laser cut by a factory is the plan.

Have any teachers combined / imported  student files / projects to cut in one go. Is this possible?
Tagged:

Comments

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Could you have them derive their tags from their own documents into one master document as part of the exercise?
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • john_doubledayjohn_doubleday Member Posts: 58 EDU
    I wonder how the work flow to that solution might look like?
    I thought it might highlight the excellent collaboration environment Onshape have created.

(1) You set up a team that is your class.
    (2) Students each build their own badge in their own document.
    (3) You set up a master document and share it with the team as a single share.
    (4) Each student opens the master document and derives their badge into it.  (Remember this isn't file based CAD, many students can have the master document open at once.)
    (5) You run the excellent layout featurescript to transform the badges into a flat orientation.
    (6) Convert to dxf
    (7) Laser cut.

Owen S
    HWM-Water Ltd
    Lovely Idea and a great use of the sharing capabilities of Onshape and I will surly do this when they and I are a little more experienced. These students are kids (mostly boys) and you know what  boys want to do all the time.....' is play tricks'. I may be wrong but this collaboration opens up many 'Trick' moments:))

It would make a great tutorial to show teachers the power of Onshape as a class tool ....love the concept just not sure we/I am ready for it.
     We are not a CAD class. I am just trying to bring in a bit of 'Design' into a subject that is for students that struggle with school, and just want to make 'stuff' if you get my drift. ....so the making of a cool laser cut personalized Name Tag might give them a bit of  street cred while at school..
    Love the forum
    Thanks
    John
    WOW .... have just watched part of a video on Featurescripts  Having one of these 'scripts' would make a wonderful addition  for teachers to use the Name Tag student Project as an intro to Onshape.....hint hint nudge nudge....know what I mean :)
    So if I leave Featurescripts in the too hard. What are the 'best' other Options to Import the student Name Tag files into one document to send off to the Laser Cutters? 

• Firstly For students: Right Click their file and either Export as DXF or straight 'Export' Which would be best so that I can import into one file?
    Hi.
    It's easier than that.  :)
    Build in student file, then set a version.
    Open master file, and use the "derive" feature to import directly from the students file.
    Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
    Hi Owen,
     WOW again . This looks interesting.
    So I create a Basic File...called, say, Name Tag with a simple sketch, share it with the students  Create a Version to a 'Class Name Tag ' file  and bring them in  to that Class Name Tag'  as the complete their  project.
    edited March 2019
    Hi, yes, pretty much.  Some thought and terminology.
    When deriving things from one file to another the source file needs to have a version set. (A snapshot in time as it were, so if you carry on modeling in the source file it knows what to import.)  
    Suggested workflow:-
    (a) Teacher creates "template document".
    Build either a template badge as a solid, or a master sketch, whatever you want them to build off.
    Version it
    Share it with the class, with "link document" and "export" set, but only "can view", not "can edit".  That way it's safe against being trashed.
    (b) Teacher creates an empty "Class of 2019 document"
    Shares it with the class with "can edit permission"
    (b) Each student creates their own "Student File".
    Then Derives in your template sketch or template part into their doc.
    Adds their own customisation.
    Sets a revision.
    (d) Each student opens the "Class document" and derives in their badge.
    After all badges are in you lay them out, create dxf and cut.
    Clear as mud?
    Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
     Hi Owen,
    Yes I have been teaching myself Derives and Version . I will have a bash at this tomorrow.
    Thanks muchly
    John