Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Featurescript - Allow Duplicate Precondition Conditional Parameters

owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
Hi folks.

I'd like to be able to declare the same conditional parameter multiple times in a FS precondition.

Example use case:-
Here I have a feature to make a hole for a connector.  On some parts I want to offer the option to surface mount it, or make it flush with the target part.  So I'd like to just have one "definition.IsFlush" option, one definition.addvoid" and one definition.targetpart".  Instead we need to use a unique names for each set of declarations which is messy and prone to errors later in the code. (It's not appropriate to offer these options for other selections so I can't just put them in the unconditional part.)

<code> if (definition.OperationType == DesiredPart.Connector_Bolt)<br>                {          <br>                    annotation { "Name" : "Flush" }  //Transforms Part such that top face is flush with targtet.<br>                    definition.IsFlush is boolean;<br><br>                        if (definition.AddConnectorBoltVoid)<br>                        {<br>                            annotation { "Name" : "Target Part", "Filter" : EntityType.BODY && BodyType.SOLID, "MaxNumberOfPicks" : 1 }<br>                            definition.TargetPart is Query; <br>                        }<br>                }          
//Optional Parameters based on choice form horizontal enum <br>
and later
<code> if (definition.OperationType == DesiredPart.Connector_Nut)<br>                {          <br>                    annotation { "Name" : "Flush" }  //Transforms Part such that top face is flush with targtet.<br>                    definition.IsFlush_Nut is boolean;<br><br>                        if (definition.AddConnectorNutVoid)<br>                        {<br>                            annotation { "Name" : "Target Part", "Filter" : EntityType.BODY && BodyType.SOLID, "MaxNumberOfPicks" : 1 }<br>                            definition.TargetPart_Nut is Query; <br>                        }<br>                }          
//Optional Parameters based on choice form horizontal enum <br>

Cheers,
Owen S.
Business Systems and Configuration Controller
HWM-Water Ltd
Tagged:

Comments

• MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    edited April 2019
    @owen_sparks

You could use if(definition.operationType == DesiredPart.CONNECTOR_NUT || definition.operationType == DesiredPart.CONNECTOR_BOLT) if you wanted the parameters to show for both CONNECTOR_NUT and CONNECTOR_BOLT. (|| is 'or')
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Much obliged @MBartlett21 :+1:
    That certainly makes good sense for the example.  I did try that but it's in danger of making the preconditions a bit of a jumble to maintain.  The intent is for this to grow into one big feature with many options so my guys only have one FS to install and one grey icon to find when they come to use it. At least until we have a way of making custom toolbars for FS...   As such some parameters might be good for operations a, b, e, and f where as the next are c, d, and z.  To save my brain in a years time even though it'll make the code longer I'd rather define parameters in a sequential list.
    Cheers, Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • kevin_o_toole_1kevin_o_toole_1 Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 565
    @MBartlett21 's workaround should work, assuming both specifications of that parameter are identical.

Another workaround is to use different ids at the two places (as you've done), and in your feature, add code like definition.TargetPart =&nbsp;definition.TargetPart_Nut

There is a fair amount of Onshape's internal code which relies on those parameter ids being unique, and it would be especially difficult to handle the case of two parameters with the same id but different specifications. For that reason I would not expect this particular suggestion to be implemented as suggested any time soon. 

• Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @owen_sparks

The other thing you could do if you end up needing to keep them separate for simplicity is using editing logic to always update the hidden ones to match the one that is currently showing.  I can go into a more detailed explanation if you are curious about how to do this.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
    Thanks Gent's I'll have a read of the proper documentation before bugging you further! Got to RTFM before taking up people's time  ;)

Bits of FS are beginning to click into place.  Feels a bit like the rush of using OS for the first time years ago, a sense of "ooh, this is useful, I can do stuff with this..."

Cheers, Owen S.

HWM-Water Ltd
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @owen_sparks

To save you a bit of time, the part of the FM that specifies what I am talking about is the "Editing logic function" section of this page.  Happy reading!
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
    Much obliged :+1:
    Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @owen_sparks

...the part of the FM...
    Without skipping a beat   :D
    Yeah, we should have a "vote comment of the day"  button next to the "vote up" button on the forum for such things!
    HWM-Water Ltd