Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Featurescript - Hole in cylinder end

Hugh_GoodbodyHugh_Goodbody Member Posts: 38 PRO
Featurescript gurus, I would like to put a tapped hole in the end of a cylinder. I have the origin point of the end of the cylinder. What is the best way to achieve this? I have looked in the Featurescript documentation, but there is nothing of much help there!

Comments

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi, Do you mean tapped as in the hole call out in a drawing will be correct, or tapped as in modeled threads?
    Cheers, Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Hugh_GoodbodyHugh_Goodbody Member Posts: 38 PRO
    Tapped as in hole call out for a drawing
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,174
    This is unfortunately not as easy as it should be.  The easiest way is probably calling the hole feature directly, which is still tricky because it has lots of parameters.  The easiest way to do that is probably to create a part studio with the right kind of hole manually and then right click on the part studio tab to show the code and copy the call to hole from there into your feature studio.  You will need to create a sketch point where you want your hole and change the query for the hole to it.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • Hugh_GoodbodyHugh_Goodbody Member Posts: 38 PRO
    Thanks Ilya, I have that working. I would like to be able to choose a tapped hole size to put in. Is there a way to use the hole UI and the existing tables to do this, within my feature, or would it be simpler to hardcode my values, realistically, probably only need M4, M6, M8 and M12? Bear in mind I am completely new to this, so if it is going to be extremely complicated I can fix some values. Thanks