Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Reference configured features in configured part properties and/or parametric drawing notes?

Malcolm_DanielMalcolm_Daniel Member Posts: 57 PRO
Any tricks for referencing configured features in configured part properties and/or parametric drawing notes?

Looking to parametrically reference the "Substrate Stock PN" below (configured feature) in a drawing note.  Only way I can think of is copy/paste that column into a configured part property column...but then it's not parametric i.e. if I change "Substrate Stock PN", it wouldn't update the configured part property.

Thanks,
Malcolm

Best Answer

Answers

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @Malcolm_Daniel - you had me scratching my head for a moment!
    Yes, it's totally doable :)

Here is a link to the document so that you can see how it's done.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6d7599c90a79cea411afb675/w/9cfbdb054821e4b14728f010/e/eea77f4cd9b3f7977bf5fcd7

1) There exist configuration specific properties

2) Insert multiple configurations of the part into the drawing

At this point, there are three views (each of a different configuration) - BUT THE SHEET REFERENCE IS ONLY TO THE CONFIGURATION OF THE FIRST PART INSERTED.
    This is the head scratcher - each sheet can only have 1 reference regardless of the number of different parts/assemblies/configurations referenced.

Inserting a note referencing a custom property will only insert the value of that property for the sheet-reference (not what you were looking for)

3) The correct way is use the Callout (balloon) tool as this points to a specific view (and hence configuration)

:):):) 

I hope this helps you :)

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Malcolm_DanielMalcolm_Daniel Member Posts: 57 PRO
    Thanks for the response @philip_thomas ... this is slick, and kind of an extension of my question...but doesn't address my issue.  
    What I'm trying to do is parametrically link the note to the configured FEATURE (not configured PROPERTY).  As I mentioned, I can copy/paste configured FEATURES to configured PROPERTIES (via spreadsheet in-between) for use in parametric notes or balloons...but then when I change the configured FEATURE I have to manually update the configured PROPERTY.

Got any other tricks up your sleeve for that one?  :)
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @Malcolm_Daniel - sorry for the whiff and miss.
    We are trying to understand what you're trying to do.
    In the absence of a document to look at, we are trying to figure out what "Substrate Stock PN" is? It appears to be some sort of configuration parameter. How is it defined? Is it a variable? Why is there an arrow to 'configured part properties'?
    The most helpful would be a public document with your problem reduced to its simplest representation :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
    edited August 2019
    Since you can't seem to read my mind @philip_thomas , here's a public document as requested.   o:)

Check out the notes on the two drawing tabs.  Let me know if you need more info.

In this example, the "Derived 1 Configuration" column/field/name in the "Finished Part" part studio is analogous to "Substrate Stock PN" in my real-world example.  Arrow to Configured Properties in original post indicates I want to be able to parametrically reference that configured feature (value of that column) in both Configured Properties and drawing notes.

Another way of thinking of this is a "make from" item (take stock part XYZ and modify it).

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/597c26021f533f1cb381dc50/w/1715d3554997e096ec56961a/e/71b9841cbc8ac2553c57ac53

@Malcolm_Daniel - Hmm, this appears very simple (unless I have missed something).
    I used the exact method described above

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/5d5994909ce52f225aefed6a/w/6460e07babc439363f1d9fab/e/0b39f7b6ebe746215d83e0c1

Philip Thomas - Onshape
    @philip_thomas ... you created a parametric note linked to the Configured Part Property "Product Line"...but that "Product Line" field is not linked to the actual "Derived 1 Configuration" value.  Unless I'm missing something, if you go into "finished part", Part 1 configuration and change the Derived Configuration from "Stock A" to "Stock B" ... your drawing note will still say "Make from Stock A" unless/until you go manually change the "Product Line" field as well.  I want everything parametrically linked to the actual drop-down selection of "Derived 1 Configuration" field/value.
    Malcolm, the boxes in the configuration tables are for setting values specific to the configuration.
    There is no mechanism for those cells to read the values from somewhere else.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
    Thanks for the confirmation.  And there's no way to parametrically access variables, configured feature values, or the like in drawing notes/fields?  If not, I'll file a feature request.  Seems it could work very similar to the drawing property and sheet property drop downs in note fields...have a 3rd drop down for columns from the configuration table.

@Malcolm_Daniel - That is a very good enhancement request!!!! :):):)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Michael_CoffeeMichael_Coffee Member Posts: 90 ✭✭✭
    I have a similar situation, though with the drawing properties themselves and not a note. I currently have it where we have to type in the description for the "Material" (ex. 1/4" HRS or 4" X 4" X 1/4" ANGLE) in the part properties. It would be nice to link the drawing property to a configuration table where it lists the material you start with to make this part. Once you pick something, it generates in the drawing when you make it.