Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Open sub assembly in new tab?

Malcolm_DanielMalcolm_Daniel Member Posts: 57 PRO
Context (rt-clk) menu on sub-assembly in assembly model tree gives "Switch to XXXXX" option, but no "Open in new browser tab" option.  Is there a trick, shortcut, or workaround to open sub-assemblies in new tabs?   Tried ctrl+left click on "Switch to XXXX", but still opens in same tab.  Or is this an improvement request?

Also, context menu on assembly tab gives "Open in new browser tab" option, but in Chrome, choosing that opens some strange (non-standard) new Chrome window (pop-up?).  If I ctrl+left click on an assembly tab it opens in new Chrome tab.  Any tricks to make "Open in new tab" actually open in new tab instead of new window?  Or is this a support ticket?

Answers

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @Malcolm_Daniel - I started writing a long diatribe about different combinations of control and command clicking and then the variances between Windows/MacOS and Linux. Those paragraphs are gone, you're right - we should offer 'open in new tab'.
    Please submit an enhancement request ticket. The reason this is one of our stock answers (submit a ticket), is that every three weeks (one of our sprints), we rank all enhancement requests by hit-count (the number of people that ask for it) and that helps us prioritize resources.
    Thank you for helping make Onshape better :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    edited September 2019
    @Malcolm_Daniel

Are you sure that the weird second window that is opening is a Chrome window?  It looks like it might be opening in some other program that is set as the default browser on your computer.  This is probably worth submitting a support ticket also so that we can check it out.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Malcolm_DanielMalcolm_Daniel Member Posts: 57 PRO
    Thanks guys...apparently this improvement request exists:  https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/8140/add-open-in-new-browser-tab-to-rmb-instances-menu
    Guess I didn't search for the right terms, but it popped up as I started making my improvement request.

@Jake_Rosenfeld ... yes, it's Chrome (grouped as 2nd Chrome window in Windows Task Bar).  I'll submit a ticket.
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @Malcolm_Daniel

If it's any consolation, I pretty much always search for IRs by typing into that "New Idea" box.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Malcolm_DanielMalcolm_Daniel Member Posts: 57 PRO
    FYI, the weird 2nd Chrome window when using "Open in new browser tab" was due to an outdated version of Chrome (thanks IT policies)...upgrading to the latest Chrome fixed it.