Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

3D connexion problems with Onshape?

Does anyone have a definitive answer to solve the 3D connexion issues with Onshape? My devices only work intermittently which is super frustrating because it will start out working and then stop. I think the problem is happening when I open a second browser or start changing between different parts/documents.

Tagged:

Answers

• TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    What 3DConnexion device are you using and on what OS? Please ensure you have installed the latest drivers from their website:

https://www.3dconnexion.com/service/drivers.html
    Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.
  • Stephen_BlizzardStephen_Blizzard Member Posts: 11 PRO
    Hi Tim, I'm using the space navigator. I have the latest drivers installed on a windows 10 64 bit OS.

• peter_veenmanpeter_veenman Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    I have the same problem with my SpaceNavigator. I am using the latest driver from the 3Dconnexion website. At one stage my device didn't work properly when I started Onshape. It only allowed me to enlarge and reduce and even that was very slow and not at all smoothly. Never had that problem before. To see if it was the device that was faulty I stopped Onshape and started Sketchup Make 2017 and found that my SpaceNavigator functioned normally. When I then started Onshape again my device worked OK. When I stopped Sketchup the good behaviour still continued until I hibernated the system and and upon waking up the device then didn't work anymore. After a reboot the device works properly with both the 3Dconnexion demo and training software and with Sketchup but not with Onshape unless I start Sketchup first. This makes me think that there may a problem with the way Onshape deals with 3Dconnexion devices. Or has it something to do with the fact that I upgraded from Windows 10 version 1803 to version 1903? I now habitually start Sketchup first before firing up Onshape. 
    Hi Peter, I've never had a problem with my 3D connexion device in SolidWorks. But I notice when I'm trying to trouble shoot and I open the properties app where you can set up the buttons it often says the name of the browser not Onshape. Happens on both Chrome and Microsoft Edge.
  • TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    @Nuno may know more but I believe the application that runs and connects to Onshape may be stopping on your computer. You can search and run 3DxNLServer in Windows and then hard refresh your browser and the 3DConnexion device should connect again. 
    Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.
    Thanks Tim.
    Would I have to run that 3DxNLServer every time? I've seen this happen a few times a day. Sometime the device stops working within a few minutes of opening a document.
    I couldn't find @Nuno.
  • NunoNuno Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Hi @Stephen_Blizzard,
    [...] But I notice when I'm trying to trouble shoot and I open the properties app where you can set up the buttons it often says the name of the browser not Onshape.
    I think @TimRice is correct: the issue you describe is consistent with the "3dxnlserver.exe" proxy terminating unexpectedly. In this case, it is up to 3Dconnexion to address the issue and I suggest that you get in touch with my colleagues at tech support.
    Thanks Nuno. I'm not convinced this is the (only) problem. When I do a simple stop and then start of the drivers that should fix this shouldn't it? But when I do the problem is still there. 
    Just this morning, my navigator was working fine. I had multiple browser tabs open (Chrome) and then I open this additional tab via clicking on the email link and the next thing I know the navigator stops working. I stop the driver and start it up again and the properties show it's in Chrome not Onshape again and not working.  :s
    I've logged a ticket with 3D connexion. Has anyone else logged a ticket?
  • 3D3D OS Professional Posts: 52 ✭✭
    I've been trying to get a Space Explorer working with very limited success: If you put the shortcuts in for TLR &F views, it works for that - as for the 6 directions, zoom might work but that even is intermittent...
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    I had issues with mine, and had a ticket with 3DConnexion for several months! I'm on MacOS. Someone at Onshape (probably @TimRice
    ) suggested I use the Spotlight Search to find 3dxNLServer. once found just hit enter, which restarts it. After that just shift+refresh Onshape and it almost always works again. Not ideal, but it's become pretty habitual for me to hit Command+space (for spotlight)  -> 3dx (autocompletes to 3dxNLServer) -> Return -> shift+refresh. Takes like 2 seconds. I realize this has been described above, but it's worked for me. let me know if this works for you
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
    Hi 3D and Evan_Reese, 

I had my ticket answered from 3D Connexion. For me the solutions are to shift-refresh the browser (Chrome) tab. 

Then if that doesn't work, I have to close the browser, hit the start menu (windows 10 64 bit), go to the 3D Connexion tools and stop the driver, wait 10 seconds, Start the driver and then open the browser again. The second process was the recommended action from 3D Connexion.  

Since 3D Connexion's last couple of driver updates it been a lot better. Most times shift-refresh works. So make sure you're on the latest driver too.
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    Glad to hear it's working better.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • David_Bower1David_Bower1 Member Posts: 11 PRO
    I have this message from 3D Connexion.

Open Windows Defender Firewall and select the first option "Allow one app...".

Add two .exe files, 3DxSmartUi.exe and 3DxService.exe, from the following directory (each file must be selected in turn from the path):

C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\3DxWinCore

Add the exceptions for all networks (domain, private and public).

Reboot