Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Is there a "fully define sketch" button or option available?

dan_33dan_33 Member Posts: 13
I'm currently working on a drawing and I'm not sure what else I need to do to fully define it without over constraining the part.  I know there's an option in solidworks that allows you to fully define a sketch at a touch of a button but is that available on Onshape (yet)?

Thanks!

Best Answers

Answers

• cyclonewadecyclonewade OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 53 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    @jakeramsley   Just deployed the football and went nuclear.
    imagine.create.deliver
  • dan_33dan_33 Member Posts: 13
    I'll try your suggestions and let you know.  Thanks for the speedy response!
  • dan_33dan_33 Member Posts: 13
    UPDATE: Both suggestions worked really well together--  moving around the blue lines to figure out what needed to be constrained and fixing the points.  Thanks, jakeramsley and cyclonewade.
  • traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    As a side note, blanket fixed constraints like this are a clear indicator that the author did not understand their sketch and probably did not have any big picture in mind. It's a big danger sign for me.

Not fully defined sketches (which Onshape needs an indicator in the feature tree for) on the other hand are a clear sign that work is not done, which is fine.

So, better to just leave it undefined in my opinion.
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with @traveler_hauptman : I long ago resolved, from early misadventures, to use "fix" as a temporary expedient only, or an occasional diagnostic tool.

(An example of a temporary expedient might be to "pin down" one shared endpoint in a complex sketch to enable swivelling it en masse, in preparation for dimensioning lines which were formerly horizontal and vertical. I'm thinking of a sketch whose design intent has changed since creation, hence the H/V constraints have been deleted and replaced with mutually "Perpendicular" ones)

Onshape is admittedly a paradigm-shifting app, so I am open to rethink ingrained habits around 'best practice', but I don't think I would ever use it in the shotgun mode suggested here unless it was to lock down an imported profile (not currently possible)

... or if I had to get a quick & dirty model out to catch a deadline ... and even then I would go back after the dust had settled and make it good, if there was any prospect of ever revisiting the model.

I think it's a valid suggestion to break a stalemate for a beginner, but I would suggest you strive to learn how to sketch in ways which define the geometry as you go.

Another suggestion for a beginner: think about dropping the term "drawing" if what you mean is creating a solid model. Drawing is an optional stage, a way of depicting such a model (usually done when it's finished) on 2D paper or screen ... and that option is not currently implemented in Onshape.
  • allan_gloverallan_glover Member Posts: 1
    I would highly recommend NOT using fixed constraints. Take the time to analyze the sketch and visualize what dimensions are required to fully define each entity