Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Is it possible to merge a subset of changes made in one branch to another branch?

StephenGStephenG Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
Suppose I am working a design where two alternate a solutions are possible. The "alternatives" are being working in separate branches. 

Eventually, I reach the point where some aspects in one branch are highly desirable to incorporate into the "main" branch, but not all. 

The current "Merge into current workspace" functionality gets all the changes.

How do I "cherry pick" a subset of the modifications made in one branch and merge them into another branch?

Tagged:

Answers

• adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 258 PRO
    What types of changes? just features?
    Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager
  • StephenGStephenG Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
    Modifications in the branch could be new features, feature deletions, or change to existing features.

• StephenGStephenG Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
    I see I my thinking is way to fixated on just changes within a Part Studio; I need to think at the document element tab level which is more high level.

The level of granularity I was expecting in merging branches is not there.  
  • adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 258 PRO
    Well you can merge a version, yo could get the granularity by creating versions at potential merge points
    Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @StephenG

We have a number of hits collected internally for selective merging, but I took a look and there doesn't appear to be an improvement request yet.  Please post one on the Improvement Requests section of this forum!

Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • mjsobrepmjsobrep Member Posts: 6 EDU
    Added an improvement request that anyone interested in can vote on: