Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Building a full model with featurescript?

tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
Out of curiosity - does anybody here use featurescript to build "full models" rather than well... just features? I haven't really dug into featurescript myself, but plan on it when I have some time. I have found many custom features created by other users extremely useful, but I don't really know what I'd try to use it for myself. So, I'm just curious, and also maybe looking for a little bit of inspiration. 

Or, to put it another way. I see lots of custom features that automate repetitive things, or fill gaps that the development team hasn't gotten to yet. So, what are the things I could do with featurescript that can't be done with ANY CAD package?
Tagged:

Comments

• konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not too efficient building full models with FS generally, nowadays you can configure part studio and link it in any place in any configuration - just like feature call, but before standart content appeared I used "Cap screw FS" to generate fasteners for example, or I heard Airfoil FS was used to generate wing shapes.
    >So, what are the things I could do with featurescript that can't be done with ANY CAD package?
    Most of CAD's have automation instruments of different levels - macro, journals, API's. The difference of OS is that you can start using it only reading through not so big single level standard library documentation, there is no need to be a pro in application programming or spending years for learning API. Featurescript is a pretty friendly and compact instrument - it is the difference from my point.
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, @konstantin_shiriazdanov. That's helpful for putting it into perspective. 

Like I mentioned, I think its awesome and looking forward to jumping into it myself. 
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    Here's a "full model" type approach that Kori, one of our software engineers, is using to design her house: https://www.onshape.com/cad-blog/exploring-the-power-of-custom-cad-features-for-furniture-first-design

Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    That's the kind of thing I was looking for! I love that she flipped the idea of a custom feature from "generic geometry feature" to "design intent feature". Even though she was still using really simple geometry, the "design language" as she put it is a lot easier to understand when inspecting the feature tree. I wish I could see some of the code that went into her scripts. 
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    Yes, exactly!  The source is available here: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/56736/#Comment_56736
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc