Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How do I work in dual units natively?

david_56david_56 Member Posts: 3
edited May 2015 in Community Support
I model in dual units constantly (imperial hardware & material inventory in the US) with optical  and other components designed metric.  In SW (or ProE) I just type in the number followed by the units if they aren't my native units.  As near as I can tell, I can't enter metric dims on the fly while I'm working in an English model.  I also can't display dual dims while modeling.  Is this available?

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    Iana, wow, I tried just putting in 100mm yesterday (in an english model) and the field turned red (?).  Maybe it was a typo on my part.  I'll give it a try again.  From your reply it looks like it works and I just did something wrong.  Thanks!
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Andrew, thanks for the answer.  I'm just starting out with OnShape so I went looking for a hole wizard next on a part I was trying and "surprise" no hole wizard.  I guess there's a few reasons this is still the Beta version.  Oh well, I sent in my check for my SW maintenance for the next year ...  I'll keep on eye on this program though and I'm scheduled for some of the seminars.  Thanks.
  • Options
    john_f_carrjohn_f_carr Onshape Employees Posts: 74
    david_56 said:
    Iana, wow, I tried just putting in 100mm yesterday (in an english model) and the field turned red (?).  Maybe it was a typo on my part.  I'll give it a try again.  From your reply it looks like it works and I just did something wrong.  Thanks!
    "100 mm" should be syntactically valid anywhere a length is requested.  It could be invalid in context.

If you type a value that is out of range for the operation type, like a 500 meter blind extrude, you will see the correct range if you hover over the red box.