Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to extrude only perimeters to hollow out material

dapugdapug Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
I'm not even sure what the terminology is for this, but anyone know the best way to extrude just the structural areas like this, leaving the material empty where the strength is not needed?

I think this is a common design practice, saving material, or weight, or both.  I'm wondering what the best way to do this in OnShape is.

I could draw each wall out in the sketch using offset and then tediously (especially if there were many holes) extrude only those surfaces, but wondered if there was an easier cheat.  I surely dont want to extrude the whole face and then remove that inner cavity, too much work.

Best Answers

Answers