Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Loft new solid gives a surface

gauthier_östervallgauthier_östervall Member Posts: 99 ✭✭
edited February 2020 in General
I don't know if it's because of my start/end profile conditions, but my loft solid gives a surface.

What is going on? The other similar loft (currently suppressed) works fine. Here is the project: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/4bf7f623ce4a039e24576ef7/w/1e00e61cde1b8df1802bb9bf/e/5445ea5ca63ed7637f996635

Edit: yes, End condition Tangent to profile turns the solid into a surface. But I want the End condition! 
Tagged:

Comments

• steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    @gauthier_östervall

I didn’t take time to go through your document to see why your loft wouldn’t give you a part. This looked like it could be quite involved. Probably above my skill. But, I did use the Enclose tool to quickly turn 4 entities into one part. Don’t know if that’ll make you happy or not. But for what it’s worth, here is a GIF

• gauthier_östervallgauthier_östervall Member Posts: 99 ✭✭
    @steve_shubin Thanks for that work-around! 
    @gauthier_östervall

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6595739ff81c12d3c691a07f/w/621fd0bdcffe9501cf003785/e/43f395f8db85295298bffff6

A solution is to have the same amount of points on each profile of the loft — which is a good rule of thumb when making profiles for lofts

To get the Tangent to Profile, End Profile Condition to work on the loft, the End Magnitude was set to .9 

It may not be a loft you were looking for because of the number and depth of the creases in the part. Getting rid of those creases will take at least one and maybe more intermediate sketches (profiles) and a number of guides. But it is possible to loft between two profiles of the shape you had, use the end profile condition you called for, and come up with a part without using a workaround

For what it’s worth, if you set the end condition to none, you end up with a shape that is fairly smooth

• gauthier_östervallgauthier_östervall Member Posts: 99 ✭✭
    @steve_shubin That's nice! So the problem was that End Magnitude to 1 made the resulting shape non-solvable, right?
    I agree that Loft maybe wasn't what I was looking for, but I don't know what else. Guides and Fills?
    edited February 2020
    @gauthier_östervall

The solution involved not only changing the magnitude to .9, but also redrawing one or both sketches

As to eliminating or softening the creases, I believe it would involve making at least one or two INTERMEDIATE sketches and possibly some guides